Trying The New AMD GPU-PRO Linux Driver On Ubuntu With Vulkan, OpenCL & OpenGL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I meant 640 shaders at least to have console like power, like my 8850m on my cheap used 400 bucks laptop, or my 100 bucks used R9-285. No AMD cpu today can play FFXIII on Linux (half cores - low single thread performance), the lowest spec is my cheap laptop with Haswell dual core turbo 3.2ghz (at least for one core), anyway Intel-AVX-3GHZ+. WineD3D in FFXIII shows Lightning with black eyes like IMO person (disaster), Nine is ultra accurate. The games that may start with WineD3D and not with Nine is most probably a Videos problem, i had to download compressed Videos from a pirated version of FFXIII to start it with Nine, or rename them and watch them later on Youtube, its probably a sabotage from Codewavers.
    The current CMT architectures are not half cores. AMD screwed themselves over when they defined a core the way they did. In reality the core is the module.

Comment

I meant 640 shaders at least to have console like power, like my 8850m on my cheap used 400 bucks laptop, or my 100 bucks used R9-285. No AMD cpu today can play FFXIII on Linux (half cores - low single thread performance), the lowest spec is my cheap laptop with Haswell dual core turbo 3.2ghz (at least for one core), anyway Intel-AVX-3GHZ+. WineD3D in FFXIII shows Lightning with black eyes like IMO person (disaster), Nine is ultra accurate. The games that may start with WineD3D and not with Nine is most probably a Videos problem, i had to download compressed Videos from a pirated version of FFXIII to start it with Nine, or rename them and watch them later on Youtube, its probably a sabotage from Codewavers.
      how many games did you test with nine?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

how many games did you test with nine?
        The last six months only: FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3, DMC4, DMC5, TERA_Online, Blade_and_Soul (beta non now), RIFT, Call_of_Duty (i don't remember version).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The current CMT architectures are not half cores. AMD screwed themselves over when they defined a core the way they did. In reality the core is the module.
          http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/302...%28BGA%29.html

On Single Thread doesn't beat my old 3110m.

Comment

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/302...%28BGA%29.html

On Single Thread doesn't beat my old 3110m.
            Put blame where it belongs. AMD proved that 3 integer units per pipeline was an ideal configuration many years ago.Why they didn't stick with what they know is beyond me. But that doesn't mean CMT is at fault.

Comment

I actually succeeded in getting the driver to compile with 16.04 by making some minor changes to the source code (a couple of kernel functions had switched parameter types and another function had dropped a parameter). Sadly, it didn't work after rebooting. LightDM seemed functional but the driver switched from extended mode (I have two monitors) to cloning the displays and Unity refused to start. So it's going to involve more than just making the DKMS module compile, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
              X