• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    source engine games? like cs?
    Read the article.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't think modern games would have improved the picture any, but I don't think it matters either. The trick is now and always has been to find the best playable settings, and then play on them. I might be willing to bet that on games where settings are tweaked to get close to vsync the difference would shrink.

I know a lot of people here think synthetics mean something, but they really don't. The only things synthetics can show is differences between settings or drivers on the same hardware. That's literally it. (And that's only if you assume it utilizes some feature or function in exactly same way as real world products, and that's an assumption that's basically always wrong.) Synthetics comparing different hardware was always wrong.
      Last edited by duby229; 18 March 2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

What parts of the GPU the GPUTest stress out?

The weak results in these synthetic test show some deficiency in the driver? Can those weak spots being the cause of low FPS in the games?

Comment

Now that your testing Ubuntu 16.04, any chance we could see a comparison on AMD open source drivers? I'd like to see how Mesa has improved from 14.04 to 16.04. Thanks!

Comment

Well at least AMD is in the race finally, at the back of the pack, but at least on the board. Hope to see improvements in the upcoming months.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I don't have the 390X obviously otherwise woulod have included it.... I included the modern AMD cards I had.
              It's not a big loss. 390x is also based on Hawai.
              It's easy to infer that it would perform ~20% faster than the 290.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Wake me when Vulkan matures on both hardware and you have games worth demonstrating.
                AMD will obviously perform well with Vulkan.

But openGL is not gonna disappear from the radar. It's still relevant for the foreseeable future. And some game devs will continue to choose it over Vulkan.

Comment

Hi Michael

The Setup for the AMD GPUs was without DRI3 or? Based on the Numbers of you previous test: Radeon DRI3 Performance On Ubuntu 16.04 we can expect a better result in some degree?

Comment

Michael, I've read your article three times but did I get this right? : You tested AMD OpenSource drivers against NVIDIA proprietary drivers?
                    If this is the case then this should IMHO be stated in the title of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                      Michael, I've read your article three times but did I get this right? : You tested AMD OpenSource drivers against NVIDIA proprietary drivers?
                      If this is the case then this should IMHO be stated in the title of the article.
                      Well, IMO that's the only comparison that makes sense. Nvidia's top driver vs AMD's top driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X