NVIDIA GeForce vs. Radeon/AMDGPU OpenGL Performance On Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce vs. Radeon/AMDGPU OpenGL Performance On Ubuntu 16.04

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce vs. Radeon/AMDGPU OpenGL Performance On Ubuntu 16.04

This week we showed how the new AMDGPU driver stack is performing on Ubuntu 16.04 and that the recent generations of Radeon graphics cards are commonly seeing 80~90% the performance of Catalyst. However, it's important to keep in mind that aside from Catalyst being more buggy than the proprietary NVIDIA driver, the NVIDIA binary driver also tends to be more performant. So for putting the Ubuntu 16.04 open-source Radeon numbers into perspective, here are results putting them against the GeForce Kepler and Maxwell graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is a nice and needed improvement
    and i think it will become more competitive in future

Comment

And that is what you get when you buy AMD to use together with Linux.
      The rest is just talk/PR.

Comment

Thanks! Would have been nice to see the 390X on these benchmarks (mostly because on windows it's performance is comparable to the 980 and is Hawaii based rather than Fiji) and I also would have wanted to see more actual game benchmarks rather than benchmarking software benchmarks (e.g. bioshock infinite and metro and dirt and something along those lines)

But this was nice to see to get a rough estimate of how well the AMD drivers are doing on Linux compared to the Nvidia ones. (Not so well it seems; but thankfully trending upwards fast)

Whether the GL driver ever catches up to Nvidia or not; lets hope that AMD's vulkan driver will at least be up to par.
        Last edited by rabcor; 18 March 2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Wake me when Vulkan matures on both hardware and you have games worth demonstrating.

Comment

source engine games? like cs?

Comment

There really isn't much new to see here. Mesa/Gallium still have too much CPU overhead, that's hardly news. But then again benchmarks in the hundreds of FPS range don't make much sense anyway. As soon as a game or application becomes GPU limited, it looks good for Mesa.

Comment

It's a pity that there's no real world benchmark in this article. Dirt and Bioshock Infinite would have been meaningful. Or Metro.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Thanks! Would have been nice to see the 390X on these benchmarks (mostly because on windows it's performance is comparable to the 980 and is Hawaii based rather than Fiji) and I also would have wanted to see more actual game benchmarks rather than benchmarking software benchmarks (e.g. bioshock infinite and metro and dirt and something along those lines)

But this was nice to see to get a rough estimate of how well the AMD drivers are doing on Linux compared to the Nvidia ones. (Not so well it seems; but thankfully trending upwards fast)

Whether the GL driver ever catches up to Nvidia or not; lets hope that AMD's vulkan driver will at least be up to par.
                  I don't have the 390X obviously otherwise woulod have included it.... I included the modern AMD cards I had.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                    It's a pity that there's no real world benchmark in this article. Dirt and Bioshock Infinite would have been meaningful. Or Metro.
                    Metro Redux game benchmark modes are completely broken with latest Steam.... DiRT and BioShock missing are explained in article.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X