Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Pro Duo Announced: Dual Fiji Graphics Card

Phoronix: Radeon Pro Duo Announced: Dual Fiji Graphics Card

With GDC happening this week, AMD took the opportunity tonight to announced the Radeon Pro Duo, a dual Fiji GPU graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All things considered they should have probably gone for a dual firepro instead. I can't imagine any sucker wanting this card. These dual cards (be they Nvidia's or AMD's) are known for being wasteful, expensive with minimal performance gains over their single card counterparts (at least for gaming purposes).

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      All things considered they should have probably gone for a dual firepro instead. I can't imagine any sucker wanting this card. These dual cards (be they Nvidia's or AMD's) are known for being wasteful, expensive with minimal performance gains over their single card counterparts (at least for gaming purposes).
      Depends on the game and devs. I've seen games that get only 10% increases and stutter their way through it, and games where the FPS literally doubles smoothly (with minimal frame time going up as well).

That being said, I agree with you: should have gone for dual firepro.

Comment

how much memory does it have per chip? (assuming its not shared?). If its just 4GB per chip then yep, super expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Let us hope that vulkan has better multi-gpu support.

Comment

From my understanding its up to the developer to support multiple gpu, vulkan just makes it available...

Comment

The name "Radeon Pro" is already used by a piece of software. The habit of coming up with video card names that tell nothing about the actual card is already taken by nvidia. Come on, AMD, do something original already!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                From my understanding its up to the developer to support multiple gpu, vulkan just makes it available...
                I'm not sure about Vulkan, but I assume it's similar to DX12.

There, I believe it comes by default with simple AFR dual-gpu support out of the box, but if you want anything complicated - like matching GPU's that aren't similar speeds/vendors, or splitting up the rendering within the scenes - you have to do a lot of the work yourself as the app developer. But it gives you full control over the best way to do things in your specific scenario.

Comment

"...don't have that much to spend on a complete system, let alone a graphics card..."

why wouldn't we have that? I don't use Linux for economical reasons. I'd guess that most Linux users are fairly high-earning software developers that would have no problem paying for that card. If they think it's worth it? Well that's a whole other story.

Comment

Any news on when we'll get laptop hybrid GPU working?

Comment

Working...
                    X