No announcement yet.

AMD Rolls Out XConnect For External Graphics Via Thunderbolt 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Thunderbolt 3 with the necessary BIOS/UEFI changes to make this plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Time to go mod a suitcase with desktop parts if I wanna go into the middleground of a portible gaming rig that can be upgraded and have good specs and performance.
      Shouldn't be too hard, put M-ITX form factor motherboard on the bottom of the case (bottom primarily for easier heat dissipation) and you could get away with a pretty small suitcase as far as the computer itself is concerned. The real trick is getting a keyboard mouse and monitor in there and designing it so that they are at a comfortable height relative to each other when the case is open. Would make for a pretty fun project.

People have done it like this before: http://www.instructables.com/id/Briefcase-PC-Mod/
      If you wanna be really cool, put a laptop in a suitcase and make a C&C style suitcase computer: http://media.indiedb.com/images/game...20suitcase.jpg
      Also get a load of this: http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/7...x-suitcase-pc/
      Last edited by rabcor; 03-11-2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Also, USB3.1 actually isn't fast enough for PCIe 3x4 transfer speeds, while Thunderbolt is. I forget the technical reasons behind why Thunderbolt is faster
        USB Type C provides four SuperSpeed lanes that do 10 Gb/s each (also a USB 2 lane and power). USB 3.1 uses one of those lanes; there could be more eg for a USB hub but the protocol doesn't include a way to bond them so as far as the host PC is concerned no device will get more than 10Gb/s using USB. Thunderbolt 3 uses all four lanes to get 20Gb/s up and 20Gb/s down over that one cable.

The alternate mode for DisplayPort over USB Type C can use 1, 2 or 4 lanes. There is also an alternate mode for MHL which uses 4 lanes, probably with option to use fewer but I don't know much about this.

Comment

So the only interesting thing here:
          For now though XConnect appears limited to supporting Windows 10 with no signs of near-term Linux support.
          We can probably forget support in the proprietary drivers. AMD never really cared about intel + amd hybrid GPUs in laptops and that is going to be similar.

That leaves the open source drivers. My guess is that all this "progress" in the software is just closing the gap to the features PRIME has been offering for several years on linux and that it "just works" with PRIME. Anyone willing to test this?

Well, as much, as PRIME works that is.
          With DRI2 you still have to use xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink and deal with all the bugs it still has e.g. with OpenGL compositors.
          With DRI3 you still can't really game on it if you have intel graphics in the laptop, because the missing cross device synchronization in the intel driver causes extreme tearing. Why is this taking so long?

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post

USB Type C provides four SuperSpeed lanes that do 10 Gb/s each (also a USB 2 lane and power). USB 3.1 uses one of those lanes; there could be more eg for a USB hub but the protocol doesn't include a way to bond them so as far as the host PC is concerned no device will get more than 10Gb/s using USB. Thunderbolt 3 uses all four lanes to get 20Gb/s up and 20Gb/s down over that one cable.

The alternate mode for DisplayPort over USB Type C can use 1, 2 or 4 lanes. There is also an alternate mode for MHL which uses 4 lanes, probably with option to use fewer but I don't know much about this.
            That's actually very informative, thank you!

Side-note: I wonder if eventually we'll get Ethernet-over-type-c routers for home use, since it can perform up to 10Gb/s at minimum.

Comment

Working...
            X