Radeon Crimson 16.3 Released With Vulkan, But No Sign Yet For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twriter View Post

Can you provide make and model number of your notebook? What distribution and version are you running? We spent a lot of effort testing the open source stack (with amdgpu) on Carrizo in Q3 of last year and it continues to be an important development and test platform for us. Quite a few of my team are using Carrizo notebooks as their primary Linux work system. I expect Carrizo notebooks to provide a good user experience overall, providing you're using a recent kernel and graphics stack. In box Ubuntu support for Carrizo would have arrived in 15.10 so anything older than that would be using the VESA driver, unless you used a PPA or built and installed the driver yourself. Ubuntu 16.04 should be even better.

Not to single you out but I see a lot of vague complaints in these forums which make it difficult for us to identify real problems or gaps in our planning. For example, "bad 3d performance" means something very different to a gamer than to an office worker. It helps a lot if you can describe the use cases that are important to you and where you feel the open source drivers are letting you down. It helps even more if you file a bug report.
    My notebook is HP Pavilion 15 ab062nl (with this notebook i've a bug with the keyboard on linux), i'm using ArchLinux 64bit
    my hardware is:
    CPU: A10 8700p (15W tdp)
    GPU: radeon r6 (igpu) + radeon r7 m360 (dGPU)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz dual channel
    HDD: 500GB 5400rpm

My software is:
    Kernel: at the moment is 4.4.5 (Arch Stock)
    Driver: Crimson 15.11
    DE: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (with cinnamon i've the best performance, i've tested, xfce, cinnamon, gnome shell, and plasma 5, cinnamon is the DE with higher FPS when i play games, followed by xfce, gnome and then plasma 5)
    Mesa: 11.1.2 (i don't know if this information is useful using proprietary driver)

with catalyst/crimson (diisablyng dGPU) temperature is max 55°C (better than windows), with opensource driver, temperature reach 70°C and more, and i've lower performance than catalyst/crimson (with steam games).
    exluding high temperature (maybe due to dgpu) and bad performance with steam games, opensource driver are good, but i play a lot so i need good performance while i play games.

i hope in future AMD will improve performance of driver (open and closed) and improve support with xorg/wayland/mir and new kernel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post

i've also a amd radeon r7 m360, a very useless dGPU, i never used it, because is very hot, and has a very bad performance (is not more powerful than iGPU of radeon r6 carrizo), furthermore this dGPU hasn't linux driver support (with proprietary driver).
      this dGPU is useless also on windows, i've never used it, because iGPU is better.
      So true. I hate what notebook manufacturers provide today. They put in useless dGPUs just for the sake of having one. I hate it already when it is just a bit faster then the iGPU but when it's the same or even slower, more outdated (like they are, there is no VI chip smaller than Tonga to be used), and inefficient it is just getting absurd.
      I mean they add weight, cost, heat, and power consumption for really nothing that can ever compensate that shortcomings.
      Not having a dGPU is considered having an ultrabook and extra-expensive. This is just crazy

On the other side you get single-channel, low-speed RAM, a shitty TN display with 1366x768 resolution, and no SSD, yeah... thanks a lot, dell, hp, lenovo, etc.
      Last edited by juno; 11 March 2016, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

So true. I hate what notebook manufacturers provide today. They put in useless dGPUs just for the sake of having one. I hate it already when it is just a bit faster then the iGPU but when it's the same or even slower, more outdated (like they are, there is no VI chip smaller than Tonga to be used), and inefficient it is just getting absurd.
        I mean they add weight, cost, heat, and power consumption for really nothing that can ever compensate that shortcomings.
        Not having a dGPU is considered having an ultrabook and extra-expensive. This is just crazy

On the other side you get single-channel, low-speed RAM, a shitty TN display with 1366x768 resolution, and no SSD, yeah... thanks a lot, dell, hp, lenovo, etc.
        i agree.
        today a low end dGPU is useless on a notebook.. integrated GPU are very good; has the same performance of low end dGPU, but has a lower power consume and lower temperature.
        intel GPU are not so good, so someone could want have a dGPU, but on AMD APU A10, a low end gpu is useless.

sorry for my english, but i'm italian

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post

on my notebook, opensource driver (radeon and amdgpu) has very bad 3d performance, and high temperature.
          so i can't use open source driver.
          i hope that in future catalyst/crimson will has better performance and better support.

I've a carrizo APU
          such unnatural hope. why not hope for opensource driver having very good 3d performance and low temperature?

Comment

This driver did give me a little boost in my Vulkan performance on windows 10. The Talos principle vulkan version is very much work in progress and unoptimized. Despite that I am getting 30% faster average framerates than openGL on my R9 290. Not sure if Linux openGL performance is directly comparable...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              such unnatural hope. why not hope for opensource driver having very good 3d performance and low temperature?
              of curse, it will be fantastic if in near future, i can use my AMD notebook very well with open source driver (i've iGPU radeon r6 and dedicated r7 m360).

Comment

Working...
              X