Heterogeneous Memory Management Work Is Being Renewed For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heterogeneous Memory Management Work Is Being Renewed For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Heterogeneous Memory Management Work Is Being Renewed For The Linux Kernel

Back in 2014 is when longtime open-source graphics driver developer Jerome Glisse began pushing his patches for Heterogeneous Memory Management in the Linux kernel while that work is still ongoing but has now been renewed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This just demonstrates that we have a long ways to go before the benefits of GPU computing can be fully realized. I'm wondering if AMD is offer assistance here.

Comment

I don't get it... I always thought heterogeneous memory is an exclusive feature of the HSA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetero...m_Architecture
      ???

Comment

When we talk about heterogenous memory in the context of HSA that is not only SVM (pointers shared by CPU and GPU) but cache-coherent with (at least close to) full performance.

HMM addresses the SVM aspect and more (migration to dGPU local memory) but high performance cache coherent operation (where writes by CPU are immediately visible to GPU and vice versa) is a function of HW as well as SW.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X