No announcement yet.

It Looks Like AMD Will Support FreeSync With Their New Linux Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but don't buy those things, you can't use the frame doubling below the min range with this monitor. You need the max range >= 2.5 * min range for frame doubling to work. But for a simple firmware update it is pretty awesome, of course.

Comment

All UHD420 monitors now ship with the FreeSync firmware preinstalled.
      But indeed a successor, the UHD430, is now on the market too.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The trekkies already got me with this one..... It's not Vulkan, It's Vulcan!

Just kidding. Don't let nvidia fanboys get under your skin, most of them lack basic fundamental common sense.
        I know! It was a typo on purpose!

It seems some people got it, that's nice

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

Since November AMD implemented frame doubling, so if your higher freesync range is 2.5 times the lower, the lower one does not matter. Same with NVidia, though I do not know if they double their frames in soft- or hardware. Once you are above the max monitor refresh range you have either vsync off, which results in tearing (and somewhat lower latency/input lag) or you have it on, which results in a tear free display (with an input latency of max 16ms at 60Hz) - so if you stay above the monitor refresh rate both adapive syncs technologies don't differ from non adaptive sync approaches.
          Thanks i didn't know about the November update

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
            Thanks for the information. What about dri2?
            With dri2 it works - more or less. You need a compositor running with dri2 and with opengl compositing with kwin or compton etc. it's quite buggy - the content of new windows is usually black or a copy of the desktop until the compositing is restarted.

I actually tried counter strike go with dri3 offloading just now and it is much better. There is still bad tearing, but it seems the second huge problem - old (sometimes *very* old) frames being inserted randomly seems to be gone. Possibly since https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dr...ff10fb94d395fa.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Do you mean FRTC?[…]

No I mean frame doubling. The marketing term from AMD is LFC (Low Frame Rate Compensation).

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

How is that different from sending 2 images to the display every 16.6ms when I configure FRTC to 30Hz (33.3ms) and the display is at constant 60Hz?
                If you still really need to ask this, you should look up (or think about) the basics of v-sync/adaptive sync.
                adaptive refresh rates > fixed refresh rates
                When your card can do an average of 70 fps, even w/ frtc, you won't get that perfect frame times, taking each frame exactly 16.66 ms to render and display. Taking the rendering of frame 0 20 ms and for frame 1 13 ms is no big deal with a synchronised display. It is with a fixed frame rate: you get tearing w/ v-sync off or stutter w/ v-sync on.

You can't just calculate your frame times out of your average fps. Average fps is an extremely smoothed out, useless value, when it really comes to the feeling of the visuals. Frame times do always differ, for some games it is worse, for some not a big deal, but they are always unsteady.
                If you render 99 frames, each in 9 ms (~"111 fps") and one frame takes 100 ms (~"10 fps") you have one really bad stutter but still an average of ~101 fps. This big difference is of course exaggerating, if there is no memory shortage, reload/streaming issue or something like that, but that's how it works.
                Last edited by juno; 15 February 2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

People keep talking as though fs is limited to a min refresh of 40hz.
                  Maybe that's all the current crop of monitors support but the standard is much more flexible.

Comment

Working...
                  X