Proprietary vs. Linux Git, Mesa 11.2-devel, DRI3 For R600g/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proprietary vs. Linux Git, Mesa 11.2-devel, DRI3 For R600g/RadeonSI

Phoronix: Proprietary vs. Linux Git, Mesa 11.2-devel, DRI3 For R600g/RadeonSI

Following this week's OpenGL 4.1 R600g benchmarking with that newly-enabled OpenGL 4 support, I set out to run a larger hardware comparison on both the R600g and RadeonSI drivers as part of our year-end 2015 Linux benchmarking. In this article are tests of seven AMD Radeon graphics cards tested on the proprietary driver compared to the latest open-source driver stack -- with extra steps of enabling DRI3 rendering and also using the latest AMDGPU PowerPlay code.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22580

Michael , thanks for test

Could you look eye at new Crimson 15.12 driver? Maybe this fix regression from last Crimson 15.11 in Metro Radux?

Comment

Great test.. would have loved to see the results on the 6870 card with GL Override. I know at least Dirt (and probably all the other games) will run just fine on the 6870 with GL OVERRIDE.

Comment

BioShock and Metro look completely CPU bound on Mesa.

Comment

Bioshock, Metro and Dirt run on the 6870, just override the GL and GLSL versions.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            And Mesa shows always higher overhead even on Gallium Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I wonder if there's an easy way to make mesa multi-threaded. Doing that could probably offer at least a 10% performance increase.

Comment

IIRC there was some multi-threading added a few years back (by Marek IIRC) which did the command submission part in a worker thread, although I seem to remember it being removed/disabled more recently because it no longer improved performance. Wasn't able to quickly find either of the commits though...

EDIT - here's the commit which added initial multi-threading to the radeon winsys. Didn't see any sign of it being removed, but by the same token I don't remember seeing it in amdgpu.
                Last edited by bridgman; 12-19-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I'll be trying to get a working configuration for some follow-up tests or will revert back to my older 4.3 kernel build with the original PowerPlay patches.--Michael
                  I am also looking for the working initial PowerPlay git commit to revert to. Post the commit here if you have it or else I'll start randomly reverting. I will also confirm here that PowerPlay is not working on Fiji Nano with the latest amdgpu-powerplay git.

Also bridgman, you will have to re-edit your edit to put in a working link to the git commit you are referring to in your post.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I wonder if there's an easy way to make mesa multi-threaded. Doing that could probably offer at least a 10% performance increase.
                    Considering the size of it, there is pretty much nothing there that's easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X