NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Performance For GRID Autosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Believe what you want, it won't change the fact that nvidia almost always offers about the same performance as it does on windows.
    Those are optimistic words (pesimistic should be 'almost never') i heard for decade plus, but reality is different (reality is something neither optimistic nor pesimistic, but how it is). Nvidia does not automagically deliver same performance, i know Linux people for years talks about that like it is holly something but it is BS most of the time ... as a proof another video here for this Grid game with nVidia hardware - he have 60% to 80% performance depending on settings:

So roughly speaking this port has performance 70% on average and that with nVidia hardware and nVidia drivers of course.

Also i am sure that AMD can make 60% on average once this game is profiled, but all this does not change fact that those ports are slower on Linux
    Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2015, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      You are making wrong conclusions again. You are comparing completely two different graphics engines there. A well tested and optimized DirectX based one, and an OpenGL based one made by third parties for the less than ~%5 of their user base.

So roughly speaking this OpenGL based port made by third parties performance is about 70% on average compared to the well tested official DirectX version, and that is on nVidia hardware and nVidia drivers of course.
      And how is that wrong conclusion, percentage is average 70% there which is nowhere near the same as on Windows... does not matter how much something is tested or not. You pick both versions and compare that is all.

Yes i am aware of that optimistic words, if difference was 5-10% one can swalow that but really those 30% missing (that percentage is in area of CPU and GPU hardware gen difference!) in the best case for some Windows user wanted to play on Linux... is in the range "be or not to be" or he can easely comment "how AMD driver is disaster, when nVidia is disaster already"

I think recently Ars spread away whole truth about gaming on SteamOS and Linux but also about nVidia Linux nonsense performance fame, perfromance adventage has been non existant whoever game they picked up to try - even those from Valve which are considered fine ports. Results were quite opossite even on those and in 99% cases by definition slower, etc....

Yup, meanwhile you die hard AMD fans can continue waiting or write drivers instead of AMD, while PS4, XBox One and workstation users are enjoying the long term and quality support with your money
      You separete there unseparatible, because I already have Playstation 4... how you write this i would think it is blasphemy to be Linux user and to have PS4
      Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

don't know if these will help you anything. after you switch resolution restart the game. in some cases there is a bug where anything but started one completely underperforms. don't bother trying, just restart the game so it already starts at that resolution. at least for me game was stuck at VSYNC until i enabled and disabled it, until i did that i was somehow locked at 15, 30 or 60fps

there are only 3 settings that really impact performance as far as i saw: MSAA, ambient occlusion and enhanced lighting.

i7 810 (i think worse than yours cpu for this game since it doesn't really use multiple cores much), 750Ti, Fedora 22 (plain Gnome nothing modified) i get 65-70avg fps at 1080p everything on high except disabled lighting and MSAAx2 and this is with enabled fps counter in steam overlay
        Yes thank you it helped a lot, 1680x1050 high preset avarage fps 91 minimum 62.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Those are optimistic words (pesimistic should be 'almost never') i heard for decade plus, but reality is different (reality is something neither optimistic nor pesimistic, but how it is). Nvidia does not automagically deliver same performance, i know Linux people for years talks about that like it is holly something but it is BS most of the time ... as a proof another video here for this Grid game with nVidia hardware - he have 60% to 80% performance depending on settings:

So roughly speaking this port has performance 70% on average and that with nVidia hardware and nVidia drivers of course.

Also i am sure that AMD can make 60% on average once this game is profiled, but all this does not change fact that those ports are slower on Linux
          Ignoring years of Phoronix testing of the same software on both Linux and Windows, a Windows game with a translation layer on top offers about 70% of the performance level on Linux. That makes you completely () right.
          Btw, do you have examples of similar titles offering 70% of the performance on AMD hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

Yes thank you it helped a lot, 1680x1050 high preset avarage fps 91 minimum 62.
            glad to hear that, but i'm kind if interested what it was. settings or need to restart game bug?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ignoring years of Phoronix testing of the same software on both Linux and Windows, a Windows game with a translation layer on top offers about 70% of the performance level on Linux. That makes you completely () right.
              Btw, do you have examples of similar titles offering 70% of the performance on AMD hardware?
              so true

people just expect that it will run better just because it is on linux. like any porter would ever go for full blown rewrite. with late port, at best you can hope is that they created translation layer that is strapped under the game and maybe rewrite few really expensive parts. usually port is no different than running in wine if not even worse if wine features better translation layer than the game

first games that will produce results that can be really compared will be UE4 since it features native GL without translation and has source available where tracking why and how is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                It's a chicken and egg problem. AMD's OpenGL drivers (on both Windows and Linux) performance has been horrible since forever compared to their DirectX drivers.
                I actually think there is no chicken or egg problem nor AMD drivers are horrible, because then we can say their DX driver is also horible performer by default for sure, because there they also control it via profiles. Basically there is no problem ANd only difference on Windows/Linux is that they faster respond for Windows driver which is normal.

and they have a good track of quickly abandoning support for the slightly older hardware, which leaves users with the standard DirectX only drivers provided by Microsoft in newer Windows versions.
                Again nope, nothing quickly is done and nothing unexpected... they drop support roughly speaking every 3 years.

So DirectX is the only option which enables the developers to easily target the largest crowd on Microsoft Windows, XBox and their phones. Thanks to AMD, developers planning to write fresh Vulkan based game engines, should also trail a DirectX11/OpenGL4 based rendering backend till 2020 or so, so they can also support non-GCN AMD users.
                And whatever happens on earth AMD drop support every 3 years for currently oldest gen. I even setup my watch on AMD support, because i know history So lets guess, in 2018. GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 will go away. In 2021 first Zen GPUs...

Zen is year to be released but i know when supprot will be droped Of course you would not hear that officialy so early, because everything and that politcs might change in future, but according to history that is how they do it in last 9 years.
                Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I actually think there is no chicken or egg problem nor AMD drivers are horrible, because then we can say their DX driver is also horible performer by default for sure, because there they also control it via profiles. Basically there is no problem ANd only difference on Windows/Linux is that they faster respond for Windows driver which is normal.

Again nope, nothing quickly is done and nothing unexpected... they drop support roughly speaking every 3 years.

And whatever happens on earth AMD drop support every 3 years for currently oldest gen. I even setup my watch on AMD support, because i know history So lets guess, in 2018. GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 will go away. In 2021 first Zen GPUs...

Zen is year to be released but i know when supprot will be droped Of course you would not hear that officialy so early, because everything and that politcs might change in future, but according to history that is how they do it in last 9 years.
                  Well lets hope that amdgpu supported hardware will work longer than that using the blob but by that time the open source drivers is probably in a much better shape and many users won't care for the blob anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Well lets hope that amdgpu supported hardware will work longer than that using the blob but by that time the open source drivers is probably in a much better shape and many users won't care for the blob anymore.
                    I hoped way back in 2002. but i only getting old

As you see, if only one major player like nVidia wanted to go opensource drivers back then everything would be fine... Imagine all three major players doing it in mesa that should be paradise but no, nVidia don't wanted to do it so i think fglrx blob will going to stay too and to compete - you can only ignore it, but no hope it will be removed because i have no hope nVidia will go opensource
                    Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

glad to hear that, but i'm kind if interested what it was. settings or need to restart game bug?
                      The latter. I did change a resolution to monitors native from some silly automatically calibrated 720p and didn't bother to restart the game(Haven't had time to play games anyway). So the port of dirt showdown is fine, grid autosport is fine too. At least if you have new enough nvidia card and proprietary blobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X