NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Performance For GRID Autosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

What is more appropriate thread to talk about fglrx then this one where some game is tested with it, and where is also once again called disaster but it isn't
    If Fury being beaten by GTX950 isn't a disaster in your opinion, then what is?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If Fury being beaten by GTX950 isn't a disaster in your opinion, then what is?
      Issue is non existent in my mind, as even Feral for all their ported linux games stated Intel and AMD GPUs as unsupported . They develop it on nVidia hardware for Mac then Linux at first, once that pass on XYZ nvidia driver version that seems enough for them to release game.... But that does not make AMD driver disaster, but you need to wait support to come.

Even on Windows that is the case, for both nvidia and amd... If with Catalyst Windows game does not have profile it will likely run slower... only not that much as on Linux, as linux porters make additionaly slower ports too.

Mac people also talks how their ports are slower then Windows, so that is nothing specific to Linux, etc...
      Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Issue is non existent in my mind, as even Feral for all their ported linux games stated Intel and AMD GPUs as unsupported . They develop it on nVidia hardware for Mac then Linux at first, once that pass on XYZ nvidia driver version that seems enough for them to release game....
        If you have to lie to make a point then you don't have a point: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...r-support.6326

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

If you have to lie to make a point then you don't have a point: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...r-support.6326
          So where i lied? I was asked and talked about performance here. This port version is CPU capped too on nVidia, i expect nvidia should fired up this results further... if platform is Windows but it isn't

Comment

Pascal going to need that HBM2 to soft render that async and still be slower, who wants to make a bet that NVidia next gen will false advertise async compute? lol!
            Last edited by BEZZiiE; 11 December 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Issue is non existent in my mind...
              Life is so much easier when you think the world in your head...
              MoonMoon has shown you Feral tries to work on nvidia, amd and intel at the same time. If they have to ship something that only runs on nvidia, surely it's not because fglrx is working just fine (which is where our discussion started). It's because fglrx is a subpar driver.
              Last edited by bug77; 11 December 2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Life is so much easier when you think the world in your head...
                MoonMoon has shown you Feral tries to work on nvidia, amd and intel at the same time. If they have to ship something that only runs on nvidia, surely it's not because fglrx is working just fine (which is where our discussion started). It's because fglrx is a subpar driver.
                Fglrx is not subpar driver, but it is because drivers are different... and why drivers are different? because different people wriote them, and because well hardware is different... and of course they all might have bugs.

Ask Feral how much bugs they hit with nvidia driver, probably same amount as with AMD and Intel It actually depends how much you work with one or another

But we talked by performance primarly, which is a thing which can be also be platform specific. See there, same man, same hardware, same nvidia driver version, two SteamOS versions and different performance... so on OS upgrade perf goes down

So it is not a driver there as a problem, it is something else, some indirect factor So Catalyst CPU cap issue might even be as suffering from some glibc miss optimization issue on XYZ distro, but not on another further it might be while it works on nVidia it broke all others - if they use different compiler to made their blob, etc...

So what do you think on video, does SteamOS 2 should fix their nvidia driver issue or what else No, nvidia driver isn't perfect as you might think
                Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Fglrx is not subpar driver, but it is...
                  Ok, now I understand.

Ask Feral how much bugs they hit with nvidia driver, probably same amount as with AMD and Intel It actually depends how much you work with one or another
                  Believe what you want, it won't change the fact that nvidia almost always offers about the same performance as it does on windows while fglrx trails Windows by a large margin. If it's not because of bug, then maybe it's because of features?

Comment

Ok, now I understand.
                    Yeah, quoting what you want and cut what you want, means to me you want to joke around

Believe what you want, it won't change the fact that nvidia almost always offers about the same performance as it does on windows while fglrx trails Windows by a large margin. If it's not because of bug, then maybe it's because of features?
                    But same thing is with Catalyst on Windows and Linux, and OpenGL Windows and Linux. AMD provide about same performance on Windows and Linux... but for most performance on particular titles they made and run profiles - both Direct3D and OpenGL games under Windows have performance and other Catalyst profiles

By that definition, if you don't run Cat profile on some Windows game and then say that is disaster, means to me that you just want to joke around And If particular game currently does not have profile, that also does not make driver disaster it just means that when it come to top notch performance catalyst is per app driver - remember that

Once again, AMD OpenGL is exact the same on Windows and Linux... minus some profiles here and there might differ or miss, minus platform specific features.... and hard fact that Windows/Linux games are not exactly the same, just nearly the same and when it cames to perfromance those can suffer from indirect factors too, etc...
                    Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Looks like a quality racing game, too bad it's not need for speed (I enjoy the cop chasings) or flatout (I enjoy the destruction), but for pure racing fans I'm sure this is fantastic!
                      Last edited by rabcor; 11 December 2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X