Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Performance For GRID Autosport

Phoronix: NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Performance For GRID Autosport

In the hours since Feral Interactive released the Linux version of GRID Autosport today, I've been trying out this racing game on a variety of AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards atop Ubuntu Linux. Here are my initial results for GRID Autosport under Linux with seven different graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

buy amd

Comment

As a GTX 670 owner, this game appears to run good enough for me to buy. However, will the Logitech G27 racing wheel work? If anyone has tried, it'd be great if you'd like to share! (Otherwise, I might eat the 40 euros and try it myself.)

Comment

There are reports that enabling GL Threading Optimizations boosts this game's performance on Linux.

Have you tested that Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          As a GTX 670 owner, this game appears to run good enough for me to buy. However, will the Logitech G27 racing wheel work? If anyone has tried, it'd be great if you'd like to share! (Otherwise, I might eat the 40 euros and try it myself.)
          Yes, Logitech G27 (FFB and 900 input)

The following wheels have been fully tested and are supported on Mac and Linux. Wheels not on this list may work with the game but they will have not been tested and approved. *Mac:* Logitech Drive Force GT (FFB and 900 input) Logitech G27 (FFB and 900 input) Logitech MOMO Racing (FFB) Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience Racing Wheel 3-in-1 Logitech G920 (900 support) Thrustmaster Ferrari Moderna 360 wheel *Linux:* Logitech Drive Force GT (FFB and 900 input) Logitech G25 (FFB and 900 input)...

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            There are reports that enabling GL Threading Optimizations boosts this game's performance on Linux.

Have you tested that Michael?
            These tests were done out-of-the-box. But as mentioned in the article, aside from the open-source tests being done right now, no further GRID Autosport tests are planned for Phoronix due to the lack of benchmark CLI switches in the Linux port.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Quite decent frame rates for nvidia cards, at least it's not like that train wreck port called dirt slowdown. Wonder if my veeery old logitech wheel works with this game, it worked on eurotruck sim 2 but not in dirt.

Comment

Those results definitly shows that a ports from Feral are bad (their D3D->OGL wrapper is really inefficient - high CPU overhead due to an inefficient OGL usage in the next title...)... At FullHD GF980Ti and GF960 has similar performance... Sorry, but games on eON works much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Yes, Logitech G27 (FFB and 900 input)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255220...1967653257694/
                  Excellent! Finally a decent racing game on Linux!

Comment

@Michael

Even a half blind man would see that the GPUs are limited by the single core performance of the used CPU, can't you OC it or use i7-4790K?

Comment

Working...
                    X