NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Performance For GRID Autosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Interesting how the performance doesn't seem to drop in any significant way (on the contrary I think I'm actually seeing an increase...) on the AMD cards when the resolution is tripled... What is holding these cards back?
    No profile holding it, as AMD blob is per app driver mostly It is not unusual that after AMD made profile for particular game, that game start to work several times faster.

There is CPU cap as usual, Michael should show CPU usage comparison during the game so you can clearly see it
    Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Interesting how the performance doesn't seem to drop in any significant way (on the contrary I think I'm actually seeing an increase...) on the AMD cards when the resolution is tripled... What is holding these cards back?
      This is often the case with AMD GPUs on Linux. It simply means the GPU hardware is not the bottleneck.
      i.e. the powerful GPU hardware is being held back by drivers and/or CPU botteneck, It's also the reason you often see lower than expected power consumption on AMD GPU systems in Linux; because they are not working hard. Increasing the resolution only increases GPU load, no change in driver or CPU overhead. Since the GPU is not being worked hard anyway performance remains comparable. That's why you get predictable scaling with resolution in windows because the drivers are efficient so the GPU workload becomes the bottleneck.

On my R9 290 I remember when the Witcher 2 came out my GPU was not working hard at all despite low framerates. And then the situation gradually improved with game patches and driver updates.
      Last edited by humbug; 11 December 2015, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        This is often the case with AMD GPUs on Linux.
        Well not only on Linux, this is game on WIndows once profiled... and still CPU usage is lower with AMD drivers. Just look at CPU usage between nVidia and AMD Basically nvidia driver regardless of OS and in 99% cases uses more CPU.

Thing became awful particulary on distance rendering (i guess culling distance calculation should somehow use any available CPU power ultimately always ) where more CPU should be used of course, and severly awful when it came to GL or on Linux. That *much worse* is by default without profile behavior and profiles actually fixed it to some extend.

Look at far fog at 3:22 for example, it does not look the same on AMD and nvidia as light shafts far there are broken on nvidia It is probably some trick nvidia uses there, lower down precision for culling calculations or something like that
        Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Has anyone been able to play this on Arch Linux? I only get the screen showing the GRID logo, two CPU cores are maxed, but nothing ever happens beyond that.
          GTX 670 and Phenom II X6 (the latter might be too slow to actually play the game, but at least the menu should work...)

On my R9 290 I remember when the Witcher 2 came out my GPU was not working hard at all despite low framerates. And then the situation gradually improved with game patches and driver updates.
          Witcher 2 wasn't any better on Nvidia hardware back then, on my system I also only got like 15% of the Windows performance and the config menu didn't even work.
          The eON wrapper was to blame, they massively improved it and now it probaly is one of the best-working Linux ports out there.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            Has anyone been able to play this on Arch Linux? I only get the screen showing the GRID logo, two CPU cores are maxed, but nothing ever happens beyond that.
            GTX 670 and Phenom II X6 (the latter might be too slow to actually play the game, but at least the menu should work...)
            yes i play it on Arch. its probably your system locale thing.. disable the launcher by marking dont show this again.. and try again. or youse LANG=C %command%
            your CPU should be fine enough for High details. GPU seems to not matter that much in this game(if its nvidia).

Comment

What settings do you have in Catalyst? In my experience, you should turn off Catalyst AI. It improved my framerates a ton, i can play Dirt Showdown at ultra preset at 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                disable the launcher by marking dont show this again.. and try again.
                Thanks, that worked. Game runs decently, though not as well as I would have hoped (usually 45+ FPS on High, Windows version runs at a constant 60 FPS on Ultra).

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well not only on Linux, this is game on WIndows once profiled... and still CPU usage is lower with AMD drivers. Just look at CPU usage between nVidia and AMD Basically nvidia driver regardless of OS and in 99% cases uses more CPU.

Look at far fog at 3:22 for example, it does not look the same on AMD and nvidia as light shafts far there are broken on nvidia It is probably some trick nvidia uses there, lower down precision for culling calculations or something like that
                  Please Dungeon, please, stop trying to sell us AMD or to lower NVidia results, especially on this thread.

AMD performances are just ugly for this game under Linux. Period. Dot.

Find more appropriate threads if you want/need/must, but please, please, not here.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Please Dungeon, please, stop trying to sell us AMD or to lower NVidia results, especially on this thread.

AMD performances are just ugly for this game under Linux. Period. Dot.

Find more appropriate threads if you want/need/must, but please, please, not here.
                    What is more appropriate thread to talk about fglrx then this one where some game is tested with it, and where is also once again called disaster but it isn't So, why not here and i don't bite . If i say that not profiled games are usualy slower with Catalyst that is nothing new, that *IS* how Catalyst do things most of the time for popular games.

So this game will be fine if/once profile is there. Period. Dot. - that is how things are with Catalyst.

And let me explain what Feral means with this "Intel and AMD GPU's are not supported at time of release" that is what Feral wrote. Intel drivers need git version of mesa, fglrx driver needs profile
                    Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                      Camera view point, sun light direction and visible objects are totally different there; how do you expect the light shafts to be same there? That benchmark is a big pile of royal s***
                      Let alone diference for a moment, it actually show good case when game is profiled and now bad destination case with no profile and Feral's AI port

Go for example to 2:10... there nvidia most likely uses 100% CPU and fglrx likely 20% The best AMD can do is to profile that to maximum of 70 fps (and that is theoretical max, it will actually slower then that maybe 55fps instead of 32fps) with opengl, which means that port is at very best slower 25% then Windows and no one further can help there, other then to visually broke rendering
                      Last edited by dungeon; 11 December 2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X