No announcement yet.

The NVIDIA/AMD Cards On Linux With The Best Value For 2015 Holiday Shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm considering getting a GTX 950 to replace my aging RadeonHD 4550, but I'm hesitant because of the whole issue with Nvidia not delivering the signed firmware to nouveau devs. I'm also considering a GTX 750Ti because the 950 is overkill for my 3D needs, but I really want the dedicated HEVC decoder in the 950.

I wish Nvidia made a low cost/power (fanless) GT 930/940 with the modern video decoder block. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I'm considering getting a GTX 950 to replace my aging RadeonHD 4550, but I'm hesitant because of the whole issue with Nvidia not delivering the signed firmware to nouveau devs. I'm also considering a GTX 750Ti because the 950 is overkill for my 3D needs, but I really want the dedicated HEVC decoder in the 950.

I wish Nvidia made a low cost/power (fanless) GT 930/940 with the modern video decoder block. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
      All vendors are using proprietary firmware.
      Go with the GTX 950, it's a great efficient GPU with HEVC-support.

Comment

Currently only HEVC 8 bit is exposed via VDPAU. Still want to see working HEVC Main 10 support. Maybe we need to wait for Kaby Lake, impoved Skylake with slightly different GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
          All vendors are using proprietary firmware.
          but only fuck you nvidia uses signed firmware which is not available for mesa

Comment

Working...
          X