Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon R7 260X or AMD Radeon R7 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    The 260X and 360 are CI family, 265 is SI family, so all the chips have been out long enough to have full support (ie not waiting for DPM like 285/380 and Fiji).

The 265 is roughly an updated 7850, and has both wider VRAM and more ROPs than 260/360/260X so should be noticeably faster on most games.

Leave a comment:

• iBloodLust
    replied
    Would an AMD R7 265 be better? Is it like the AMD R9 285 where it performs terrible because of drivers

Leave a comment:

• daraouzza
    replied
    Originally posted by iBloodLust View Post
    Hello everyone. I am in the middle of a debate of a computer I plan on building in November.
    I am deciding whether I should buy an AMD Radeon R7 260X or an AMD Radeon R7 360. I plan on using the Open Source Mesa3D Drivers w/ Gallium-Nine.
    I am on a ~$450 budget, and here is the computer I plan on building along with a monitor because the one I have has design issues.

Also which distrubution should I use?
    Manjaro Linux? I used it before and it was alright.
    Or should I use Linux Opensuse? I never used opensuse but it looks decent to me.
    I am currently on Ubuntu, it is alright I'd like to try something different however.
    GPUPI: International support thread
    About two months ago our beloved Turrican passed away in a horrible car accident. He was a big part of our community and is still Austria's only overclocking legend! Out of my sadness and anger I started to work on this project as a virtual monument, something to honour him in our scene. It's an homage to SuperPI, that Turrican benched on every possible platform, and calculates Pi completely parallelized on graphics cards and CPUs. So let's get our gear going and do exactly what our Karl showed us in all his years: Bench the hell out of GPUPI! DOWNLOAD: GPUPI is officially integrated into BenchMate. Download BenchMate to get the latest version of GPUPI. Deutsche Version

Legend Karl Turrican

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Catalyst works the same way but I don't remember where the profiles are stored or how you edit them. Presumably same for NVidia but not sure.
    Same xml editing for Catalyst too, only after edit one need to convert it to hashed file and replace system one
    Last edited by dungeon; 27 September 2015, 05:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    If you want a simple example look in /etc/drirc - that's the default set of profiles for the mesa driver. Basically a list of programs with a set of options to use for each program, eg "allow this program to use that extension without enabling it first like it was supposed to".

You can have a .drirc in your home directory as well, which IIRC over-rides the default file, and the driconfig utility allows you to create/modify the local copy.

Catalyst works the same way but I don't remember where the profiles are stored or how you edit them. Presumably same for NVidia but not sure.
    Last edited by bridgman; 26 September 2015, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by iBloodLust View Post
    this is what im asking sorry
    Profile is driver customization (can be simple, but also complex) for particular app, it is just sort of overriding what driver do by default.

Leave a comment:

• iBloodLust
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    "what are people talking about when they say that there's a profile for game XYZ"
    this is what im asking sorry

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Don't think I understand the question - are you asking "what are people talking about when they say that there's a profile for game XYZ" or are you asking how the card compares to other cards in the range ?

Leave a comment:

• iBloodLust
    replied
    thank you bridgman. also quick question; what are performance profiles?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I would go with the 260X if you can live with ~15W extra power draw. Looks like your PSU should handle it but I'm a bit out of touch re: which PSUs meet their specs these days. The EVGA seems to be pretty well regarded though.

The 260X is a fully populated Bonaire while IIRC the 260 and 360 are slightly reduced, 12 CUs instead of 14 and slightly slower clocks.
    Last edited by bridgman; 26 September 2015, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X