Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst or OSS? Which one should people use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst or OSS? Which one should people use?

OK, so Dungeon and Duby229 have an ongoing dispute over which driver for AMD hardware people should be using. Please cast your vote and then state your opinion for the record. Thanks

EDIT: This poll is obviously biased and narrow, But I think it does prove at least to some extent a common viewpoint.
    Catalyst
    7.14%
    OSS
    50.00%
    Neither
    14.29%
    Either
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by duby229; 02 October 2015, 01:06 PM. Reason: Ended the poll.

So the the reason for this thread is primarily because we keep thread jacking other topics with our opinions. I really just want to make a new thread where we can have legitimate conversation. I voted OSS because I believe it is better for AMD. Catalyst in it's current state is awful for desktop use. There are a lot bugs that add up to be really annoying and it turns people away.

Comment

What is 'OSS'? And what means 'Neither'?

Make a poll with 'Catalyst' or 'radeon' or 'amdgpu' - what people use today.

Comment

OSS is an acronym that mean "Open Source Software"

Neither means don't use catalyst or the OSS drivers. Either means use Catalyst or the OSS drivers.
        Last edited by duby229; 21 September 2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Make a poll with 'Catalyst' or 'radeon' or 'amdgpu' - what people use today.
          You can't use radeon or amdgpu, that's not an option. It's determined by what hardware you have. They are both OSS drivers and which one depends on the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            OSS is an acronym that mean "Open Source Software" Neither means not either. Either means one or the other.
            I will not vote for anything because that does not made sense. Open Source Software means i am Purgatorio from Divine Comedy... most people will vote for that

You can't use radeon or amdgpu, that's not an option. It's determined by what hardware you have. They are both OSS drivers and which one depends on the hardware.
            So what is Catalyst then?

Also you should limit voting to the users who are currently supported by Catalyst, that should be fair.
            Last edited by dungeon; 21 September 2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I will not vote for anything because that does not made sense. Open Source Software means i am Purgatorio from Divine Comedy... most people will vote for that

So what is Catalyst then?
              Catalyst in it's current state has it's own proprietary kernel driver with an OSS shim. That is soon to change when amdgpu gets supported by Catalyst.

Comment

Catalyst in it's current state has it's own proprietary kernel driver with an OSS shim. That is soon to change when amdgpu gets supported by Catalyst.
                So what is a point of voting then? You will have users who use any of these.

1. radeon
                2. Catalyst
                3. amdgpu

I know that without voting, just because current mass of supported hardware is different.

Comment

So what is a point of voting then? You will have users who use any of these.
                  Which is what Either is for. If that is the case they can choose that.

EDIT: Radeon and amdgpu are only kernel drivers, that's only part of the stack. It doesn't include the xorg ddx or the mesa drivers or the LLVM compilers. It doesn't make sense to consider them alone. The OSS drivers consist of multiple parts at different levels of the stack.
                  Last edited by duby229; 21 September 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Which is what Either is for. If that is the case they can choose that.
                    Really remove neither/either, those does not made sense . Let just radeon vs catalyst (for fairness limit radeon users to supported by Catalyst hardware) and be amazed by results - it will be fifty-fifty

Comment

Working...
                    X