AMD Rolls Out Hardware-Based GPU Virtualization: Multiuser GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Otoh, could we use dx 12 games with a vm on Linux at full gpu efficiency? Is it something this technology could allow?
    That already exists, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rough_via_OVMF

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
      With a minor disadvantage of requiring a dedicated GPU. Myself am in a position where i would love to insert secondary pci sound card for VM use. Thing is i already have two GPUs that take two slots each. So no space for sound card. One GPU (more powerful one) is not used at all most of the time. And i cant run demanding graphics applications on the host either because host GPU is slow one. I could reboot to swap GPUs but then it would be almost like dual-booting from linux into linux. Since my CPU does not have built-in graphics im stuck with two monsters in the case. As you can see situation is less than ideal. Once the cards are out and work with KVM im so buying one of them. Since it most likely will be either completely new gpu or at least one of recently released it should work with opensource driver. Its a win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
        Thanks for pointing this out
        This is however a bit sad that it can't be used by the host OS at the same time, though.
        Since it is VGA passtrough, I guess this new standard on AMD side won't enable anything new.
        A bit off-topic about PCI passtrough : Is it possible to "spy" the pci bus while doing this? I could have some reverse engineering to conduct on a capture card.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          "AMD Multiuser GPU allows "up to 15 users on a single AMD GPU...each user is provided with the virtualized performance to design, create and execute their workflows without any one user tying up the entire GPU." "

I love marketing. They can take a flat-out disadvantage and make it seem like a good thing.

What AMD just said there is this: To use this virtualization, you have to statically allocate resources to the users ahead of time and the resources can't change dynamically. Want 15 users? Each user gets 1/15th of the GPU hardware period. If 14 of the 15 users are just at an empty desktop and aren't doing anything with the GPU? Sorry user 15, you still only get 1/15th of the GPU!

If Linux handled CPU or I/O resources in this manner then nobody would use it, but now all of the sudden it's considered a "feature" thanks to marketing.

Doesn't it though?

"Linux can handle ∞ processes so no one process can eat up all your CPU power!

LOLOLOL 1 / ∞ = 0 so linux assigns 0 CPU power to processes, linux can't even run anything LOLOLOLOL"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

You know what Nvidia has with GRID 2.0?

Linux support.

Seems rather obvious Nvidia has the advantage over AMD.
            nvidia has no linux drivers, so it does not get to compete on linux at all. only amd and intel

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              I would like a small form factor Steam machine in the living room to Stream / virtualize a desktop on another room, with this it might be possible?
              Would be a good selling point for SMs to justify the higher price and would not tie it up to just 1 role.
              streaming has nothing to do with virtualization

Comment

Virtualizing video hardware is nothing new. 25+ years ago it was normal that high end graphics cards were behind an IOMMU, and that code running on the graphics card could not address all hardware. Hardware also had multiple displays to service multiple seats on a single system.
                It brings back secure times, but with more openness...
                (As if 25+ years ago things were more secure as these days ;-). But this was one of them. ).

Comment

Can this technology permit the use of a Linux host, Windows guest gpu passthrough with a single gpu (e.g. an apu) instead of two as today?

Comment

Working...
                  X