No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano Launches, Will Cost $650+ USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought one of these maybe neat to grab @ $400 US, maybe two but $650 really turns me off. I get it, I really do and I'm not worried about drivers they'll get there. It's just $650 is a number that I wasn't willing to entertain personally.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      I thought one of these maybe neat to grab @ $400 US, maybe two but $650 really turns me off. I get it, I really do and I'm not worried about drivers they'll get there. It's just $650 is a number that I wasn't willing to entertain personally.
      The number of cards AMD and NVIDIA are selling is going down, so they bumped up the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post

Not if it's sitting next to your tv in the living room, especially if you have a small house.
        That is not a desktop, that is an HTPC, there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          Look at the mac pro. It's upgradable and it's small.
          Oh... That's why you're suggesting it... MacTard.

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          We don't have the upgradability that we once used to. Buy a new processor=>need a new motherboard, need a dvd/blueray drive=> nope you don't need one. Need more storage, buy a nas or build a ownCloud server and you will be able to access the data when you are not home. Do you need a pro sound card? buy an external, they are better. Do you need a wifi card? No you don't, it's already integrated.
          Sure there will always someone that will have a special need and for most of those that will need something special there is usb 3. Everything is getting integrated + chips are getting stacked like SSD and HBM, but this is going to be true also for cpus, fpgas, gpus etc in the future.
          The only thing that most people will upgrade is the GPU and the RAM. When they will want to upgrade the CPU they will buy a new pc.
          There are reasons why the pc is in crisis, therefore innovations are welcome.
          People have been saying the PC is in a crisis since the 1980s when they began, the reality is it isn't and never has been, but the commentators will always parrot the bullshit. What's actually happening is that the PC gaming market is growing, but non-gamers are tending to purchase laptops, and similar smaller devices, Windows 8 and the lack of significant advancement in the CPU market of course has taken it's own toll on the matter, but well... let's put it this way

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That is not a desktop, that is an HTPC, there is a difference.
            There is a difference, but I don't think that changes the fact that upgradability is still a concern, and people who would like to game on their big-screen TV in their living room without streaming from another PC would like to have a powerful graphics card.

...phoronix eating posts again. D:

Comment

There is a difference, but I don't think that changes the fact that upgradability is still a concern, and people who would like to game on their big-screen TV in their living room without streaming from another PC would like to have a powerful graphics card.

...phoronix eating posts again. D:
              That doesn't change the fact that your statement was irrelevant to my statement, however... They need a large enough box to support their desires. Which in practice means something at least the size of an XBox or bigger, up to the size of a proper tower depending upon just how well they want it to play games. There's fundamental cooling issues that you cannot just magic your way around to make a small form factor work.

Comment

Tell that to ncase M1 users, or Asus ROG users, both of which can hold a full-sized GPU (up to a GTX 980, at least), and can cool it sufficiently enough not to overheat. Those are not huge boxes, and they are fully upgradeable. You can even put a full custom loop in an M1 if you wanted to. The only thing you can't do is have two discrete GPUs, but you could (hypothetically) even do that in the M1 if you have a compatible mDTX board with two pcie slots and watercool them. With the R9 Fury Nano you'd even still have room for a powerful enough PSU to pump out the juice for them both.
                Last edited by Nobu; 28 August 2015, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Tell that to ncase M1 users, or Asus ROG users, both of which can hold a full-sized GPU (up to a GTX 980, at least), and can cool it sufficiently enough not to overheat. Those are not huge boxes, and they are fully upgradeable. You can even put a full custom loop in an M1 if you wanted to. The only thing you can't do is have two discrete GPUs, but you could (hypothetically) even do that in the M1 if you have a compatible mDTX board with two pcie slots and watercool them. With the R9 Fury Nano you'd even still have room for a powerful enough PSU to pump out the juice for them both.
                  Luke is blind to the fact that small cases with mITX cannot be upgraded.

Comment

You noticed THIS particular picture yes? Note how much bigger it is than that playstation4.

And "It's not overheating" with modern throttling techniques isn't that hard, it means however that you're not going to get full performance. Also where exactly do you plan on getting your hands on a mDTX board given that nobody makes them and haven't made them for quite some time? Also none of that violates my statement that it needs to be in the range of bigger than an xbox up to the size of a full desktop.
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 28 August 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

mDTX isn't the only way (in fact, no board with that configuration exists currently, which is why I said hypothetically)--in fact, there are other ways. That's still not huge--it's only about as big as a medium sub-woofer, and smaller than a receiver (if it were on it's side), and it's shorter than the PS4 (9.5 vs 12in). And the PS4 isn't upgradeable--I'd say 3x the width is reasonable for an upgradeable PC, and the ROG isn't even that big (about 2x as wide, 3 to 4 inches longer/deeper).

Most people aren't throttling in the M1, btw. The GPU gets fresh air from the vent on the bottom, and in the case of a blower-style cooler it's pushed straight out the back so it's not recycling hot air. If it's a hybrid cooler (which you can use in an M1, btw), you can eject the hot air directly through the side panel.

There are other options in the SFF realm, btw, if you don't like the M1's size or shape.
                      Last edited by Nobu; 28 August 2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X