Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown

Phoronix: 14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown

Yesterday marked the release of DiRT Showdown for Linux as ported over by Virtual Programming using their eON technology. With being able to use it as an automated, reproducible benchmark, I spent most of the day and into the night working on some initial AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce graphics card benchmarks using this DiRT game that's finally available to Linux/SteamOS gamers, three years after it was released for Windows. This initial comparison is a 14-way Linux gaming graphics card comparison.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22026

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Does this game actually crash on the Mesa drivers, or is it just "officially" unsupported on them?
    Unsupported. According to the devs it even runs on r600g (see screenshot below)
    Originally posted by heliosh View Post
    Does it run on Intel IGP (HD 4600)?
    No:

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

IMHO a shortlist of the 20 CPU / GPU you actually use in your everyday benchmark articles could be enough.

Not sure you need a complete database which would means far more work, as you precised.
    Check this out - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nce-Per-Dollar - tackled it from a different angle for future reviews.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9
    and those have a benchmark mode that can be automatized? Which one? Tell Michael and I guess he will happily bench one of those...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post

Heh. Already we're seeing DX12 controversy with Ashes of the Singularity. I guess we knew it wouldn't take long. Developers are claiming performance issues are on the drivers' side of course (of all places, in an API designed to circumvent the driver as much as possible).

MS was able to get a lot of people to upgrade to Windows 10 though.
    Yeah, well, Ashes was a Mantle demo for a while and DX12 is about putting more control in the hands of the developers. I guess you still can't simply optimize for DX12 and have to go for specific targets instead. Which is sad.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If current poor performance is due to additional CPU overhead translating each draw call and Vulkan and DX12 favour even more draw calls, this could go the other way really fast. I don't know whether that's actually the case, I'm just saying there are scenarios that could make this less than an automatic win across the board. Personally, I'm expecting nothing and will take any gain as a welcome bonus.
    Heh. Already we're seeing DX12 controversy with Ashes of the Singularity. I guess we knew it wouldn't take long. Developers are claiming performance issues are on the drivers' side of course (of all places, in an API designed to circumvent the driver as much as possible).

MS was able to get a lot of people to upgrade to Windows 10 though.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If current poor performance is due to additional CPU overhead translating each draw call and Vulkan and DX12 favour even more draw calls, this could go the other way really fast. I don't know whether that's actually the case, I'm just saying there are scenarios that could make this less than an automatic win across the board. Personally, I'm expecting nothing and will take any gain as a welcome bonus.
    agreed. this was the reason for "... or not" as i said it could go both ways and i really can't say where, since there is also the fact that submission of draw calls could scale over more cores in much more efficient way.

i guess time will tell
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    if anything, they'll be even more viable for more than one reason (and probably even outperforming the original)
    - in these ports CPU is bottleneck (Vulkan addresses that)

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    I am hoping that the similarities between DX12 and Vulkan will mean the end of eon style ports, faster ports and less driver tuning
    if anything, they'll be even more viable for more than one reason (and probably even outperforming the original)
    - in these ports CPU is bottleneck (Vulkan addresses that)
    - gains in performance are achieved by multi threaded approach to directx (again, Vulkan addresses that far better than OpenGL)
    - shaders which are probably biggest problems in ports like this would only need HLSL bytecode to SPIR-V

having something like galium nine, but written on top of Vulkan could do wonders... or not. i'm not having enough knowledge to judge that, but based on what it was said, i would say it is quite safe to assume that. but, one thing is sure, unlike galium nine it would work on all vendors and all drivers

Leave a comment:

• MoonMoon
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.
    This article is clearly headlined: "14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown". It is not headlined with "Nvidia best gaming experience on Linux", it is not headlined with "Gaming performance comparison of Wine games using Gallium9". It is merely there to show Phoronix readers which performance they can expect on which hardware at this point when running this specific game. Nothing more, nothing less, so all your babbling is not only stupid, but utterly offtopic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X