Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

    Michael should always mention if game runs under on not nvidia driver variabile. Why? It is not default for a nvidia driver.

    That way also fglrx user should be informed and maybe try some renaming, that helps in many cases.
    There is no GL threaded environment variable in the upstream Dirt script and thus no GL threaded environment variable in the PTS script for it... It's all just a matter of what the upstream game developer is doing.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Michael View Post

      I don't have any 840/940, but a GT 740, but that's the same GPU as the GTX 650 used.
      Michael, maybe you could add to the card's description the launch price and the year of launch?
      (ex : NVidia GTX 750 (2014 - 200$ €)

      It could be good in order to choose a card that match ones budget, or to compare AMD vs NVidia more simply.

      There is a lot of high end ones and a lot of price differences between them... add to this that NVidia has a lot of top end it is really hard to make an opinion...

      Just my 2 cents, anyway good job as always

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Michael View Post

        There is no GL threaded environment variable in the upstream Dirt script and thus no GL threaded environment variable in the PTS script for it... It's all just a matter of what the upstream game developer is doing.
        OK, you should mention that anyway.

        Comment


        • #24
          Michael

          Just curious, there is a flag for eON wrappers --eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds and apparently Catalyst 15.7 have the bug fixed that causes eON wrappers to run slower. I know Witcher2 runs about 20% better with that flag now. Can you test if DiRT shows any performance difference with that flag?

          I'm curious if eON is aware that Catalyst 15.7 fixed the ARB_texture_storage issue?

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Passso View Post

            Yes, shame on Michael for making real benchmark instead of tweaking them so that AMD wins!!!

            Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by dungeon View Post

              OK, you should mention that anyway.
              There is no reason to mention it since I basically try to respect whatever the upstream game does.... So if you're curious, go look at the upstream game or test profile script.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #27
                pts/dirt-showdown-1.1.0 adds MSAA variables 2/4/8x. Also have the game working at 2560x1600 so now running more benchmarks @ 8xMSAA 2560 x 1600 but it still appears CPU bottlenecked. Those results coming up later.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by nightmarex View Post


                  Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.
                  All you say is technically true. But not from the point of view of a Linux noob / sunday tester who do not care about all this mixed spagetti concept of wrapper/driver/batch etc...
                  Basically this guy will connect to his Steam account on his Linux Mint, install the game and run a benchmark, and will get the the same results as Michael!

                  You can say for any good (and yours are definitely good) reason that this test is not objective, but it is clearly a "Linux Gaming Performance for Dirt Showdown".

                  Now last point : TBH I agree with you that the Titan benchmarks have little interests considering nobody buy them and they are not dedicated for gaming since conception... they are misleading readers who may think that "High end NVidia > High end AMD"... but with a triple price!
                  And this is true for CPU too, this is mainly for that reason that I proposed Michael to add the year and price on those benchmarks, to show that for their price and depending on situation AMD can be a valid choice.
                  Last edited by Passso; 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM. Reason: Crazy like a forgotten "not" can change a sentence ;)

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post


                    Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.
                    I've never heard of AMD running Wine games better. I'd like to read some more about this, got any links?

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Passso View Post

                      Michael, maybe you could add to the card's description the launch price and the year of launch?
                      (ex : NVidia GTX 750 (2014 - 200$ €)
                      I tried experimenting with something like that before but not quite good yet, and haven't had the time to touch it in like two years or so.... For lack of time.

                      Since of course I will not assemble such things manually, but am able to determine the launch year/quarter for a majority of hardware out there by querying the time XYZ component started to first appear in the OpenBenchmarking.org databases. That has worked reasonably well and accurately from my tests.

                      I do have access to the Amazon shopping API but last time I was toying with that, I still had issues getting accurate prices/matches for the graphics cards or other components. Sometimes they would turn up right but other times searching for a GPU would just show a computer, or there would be some bogus listing.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X