• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by grigi View Post
    Michael

Just curious, there is a flag for eON wrappers --eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds and apparently Catalyst 15.7 have the bug fixed that causes eON wrappers to run slower. I know Witcher2 runs about 20% better with that flag now. Can you test if DiRT shows any performance difference with that flag?

I'm curious if eON is aware that Catalyst 15.7 fixed the ARB_texture_storage issue?
    Witcher 2 have profile in Catalyst 15.7, so it should run fine... but yeah maybe that game switch is needed too.

Dirt obviosly does not have profile yet, but it might perform fine with some for another game.
    Last edited by dungeon; 18 August 2015, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

All "real-time" price systems for hardware I see on internet are false/bad or click-baiters for resellers.

So definitely I think launch price is more accurate ( and much more simple to manage as it is fix and can be added in descriptions )

Moreover it is interesting to see that, for example, you can get a Nvidia 960 GTX card today for 200$ that performs as fast as a 600$ card from 2 years ago.
    But it's not like I maintain a database of launch prices on each graphics card, etc. Plus due to OpenBenchmarking.org integration, would need to be automated. I could potentially add a Wiki-type list on OpenBenchmarking.org of launch price data that people could contribute to, etc. But would likely fall low on priority queue unless someone was helping out or a commercial client wanting it for a contract.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

I tried experimenting with something like that before but not quite good yet, and haven't had the time to touch it in like two years or so.... For lack of time.

Since of course I will not assemble such things manually, but am able to determine the launch year/quarter for a majority of hardware out there by querying the time XYZ component started to first appear in the OpenBenchmarking.org databases. That has worked reasonably well and accurately from my tests.

I do have access to the Amazon shopping API but last time I was toying with that, I still had issues getting accurate prices/matches for the graphics cards or other components. Sometimes they would turn up right but other times searching for a GPU would just show a computer, or there would be some bogus listing.
    All "real-time" price systems for hardware I see on internet are false/bad or click-baiters for resellers.

So definitely I think launch price is more accurate ( and much more simple to manage as it is fix and can be added in descriptions )

Moreover it is interesting to see that, for example, you can get a Nvidia 960 GTX card today for 200$ that performs as fast as a 600$ card from 2 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Michael, maybe you could add to the card's description the launch price and the year of launch?
    (ex : NVidia GTX 750 (2014 - 200$ €)
    I tried experimenting with something like that before but not quite good yet, and haven't had the time to touch it in like two years or so.... For lack of time.

Since of course I will not assemble such things manually, but am able to determine the launch year/quarter for a majority of hardware out there by querying the time XYZ component started to first appear in the OpenBenchmarking.org databases. That has worked reasonably well and accurately from my tests.

I do have access to the Amazon shopping API but last time I was toying with that, I still had issues getting accurate prices/matches for the graphics cards or other components. Sometimes they would turn up right but other times searching for a GPU would just show a computer, or there would be some bogus listing.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.
    I've never heard of AMD running Wine games better. I'd like to read some more about this, got any links?

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

Again this is an EON wrapper game... So I can post games that on radeon blow nvidia out of the water, because they are Windows wine games using gallium 9 that means AMD is the best gaming experience on Linux? You see how stupid that is? You're blind if you take results like this as indication of anything more than emulation. And AMD still has the corner on DX9 games which probably outnumber all Linux games. This logic of testing EON crap is dumb the $1000 nvidia cards are capped out the same as the $300 the same story with the AMD cards, the highend and low end all run the same. It's not a game for bench marking it's a hack so Linux users can play it and nothing more.
    All you say is technically true. But not from the point of view of a Linux noob / sunday tester who do not care about all this mixed spagetti concept of wrapper/driver/batch etc...
    Basically this guy will connect to his Steam account on his Linux Mint, install the game and run a benchmark, and will get the the same results as Michael!

You can say for any good (and yours are definitely good) reason that this test is not objective, but it is clearly a "Linux Gaming Performance for Dirt Showdown".

Now last point : TBH I agree with you that the Titan benchmarks have little interests considering nobody buy them and they are not dedicated for gaming since conception... they are misleading readers who may think that "High end NVidia > High end AMD"... but with a triple price!
    And this is true for CPU too, this is mainly for that reason that I proposed Michael to add the year and price on those benchmarks, to show that for their price and depending on situation AMD can be a valid choice.
    Last edited by Passso; 18 August 2015, 09:28 AM. Reason: Crazy like a forgotten "not" can change a sentence ;)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    pts/dirt-showdown-1.1.0 adds MSAA variables 2/4/8x. Also have the game working at 2560x1600 so now running more benchmarks @ 8xMSAA 2560 x 1600 but it still appears CPU bottlenecked. Those results coming up later.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

OK, you should mention that anyway.
    There is no reason to mention it since I basically try to respect whatever the upstream game does.... So if you're curious, go look at the upstream game or test profile script.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied

Yes, shame on Michael for making real benchmark instead of tweaking them so that AMD wins!!!

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Michael

Just curious, there is a flag for eON wrappers --eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds and apparently Catalyst 15.7 have the bug fixed that causes eON wrappers to run slower. I know Witcher2 runs about 20% better with that flag now. Can you test if DiRT shows any performance difference with that flag?

I'm curious if eON is aware that Catalyst 15.7 fixed the ARB_texture_storage issue?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X