No announcement yet.

AMD Appears To Be Spinning Another Oland-Based GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really... Carrizo-L has one memory channel, Carrizo has two AFAIK.

Maybe the same pads on the chip go to both channels on the Carrizo-L package. Will ask....
    Test signature

Comment

Well i talked about number of memory slots, two slots for both Carrizo-L and Carrizo laptops.

You are right about memory channels, but that does not mean single channel Carrizo-L laptops has one slot
      Last edited by dungeon; 12 August 2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

It sorta-does in the sense that the idea of having the same package was to be able to use the same mobo design. That's what got me wondering about how pins for memory slots are wired on the Carrizo-L.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
          seriously? cant you just cripple fiji to 1/4 or less and sell it as low end instead of selling "old crap"? its highly misguiding and inconvenient to customers to make a long search for actually new GPUs - that only exist as power hungry monsters. there are no actually new low end GPUs from AMD. only rebrands. Maybe im wrong, but why should people adapt GPU capabilities from GCN 1.2 when the numbers of these cards are kept low by selling OLD hardware? can someone please break it down for me? it doesnt seem to make sense...
          Oland isn't "old crap" by any measure. I have a Oland-based laptop and the power envelope is in line with the performance compared to competition. It has only 6 CUs (384 stream processors) and I can easily OC it from nominal 825MHz up to stable 1000MHz on air, so the chip from 2013 had a lot of headroom for improvement as a stock product. This overclock means it can beat the performance of entry level Cape Verde (10 CUs, 640 stream processors) from the time, but the power draw never goes over 45W. It is (perf/Watt and IPC) comparable to nVidia's Kepler architecture of the Geforce 660m and 750m, and for the price, there's no reason to ditch that yet. I don't see a use for it on the desktop market thought.

From a capability standpoint, the Gfx block does pretty much everything GCN 1.2 does. Turning tesselation from "Disabled" to "Moderate" on Unigine Heaven has only a 15% performance hit on my setup.

I'm playing Thief in Full HD capped at 30FPS on it, there are no frame drops. I call this console-level gaming. Granted PC's can do better, but this is a slim multimidia laptop with... Oland.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            seriously? cant you just cripple fiji to 1/4 or less and sell it as low end instead of selling "old crap"? its highly misguiding and inconvenient to customers to make a long search for actually new GPUs - that only exist as power hungry monsters. there are no actually new low end GPUs from AMD. only rebrands. Maybe im wrong, but why should people adapt GPU capabilities from GCN 1.2 when the numbers of these cards are kept low by selling OLD hardware? can someone please break it down for me? it doesnt seem to make sense...
            Oland isn't "old crap" by any measure. I have a Oland-based laptop and the power envelope is in line with the performance compared to competition. It has only 6 CUs (384 stream processors) and I can easily OC it from nominal 825MHz up to stable 1000MHz on air, so the chip from 2013 had a lot of headroom for improvement as a stock product. This overclock means it can beat the performance of entry level Cape Verde (10 CUs, 640 stream processors) from the time, but the power draw never goes over 45W. It is (perf/Watt and IPC) comparable to nVidia's Kepler architecture of the Geforce 660m and 750m, and for the price, there's no reason to ditch that yet. I don't see a use for it on the desktop market thought.

From a capability standpoint, the Gfx block does pretty much everything GCN 1.2 does. Turning tesselation from "Disabled" to "Moderate" on Unigine Heaven has only a 15% performance hit on my setup.

I'm playing Thief in Full HD capped at 30FPS on it, there are no frame drops. I call this console-level gaming. Granted PC's can do better, but this is a slim multimidia laptop with... Oland.

Comment

Working...
            X