The AMD Radeon R9 Fury Is Running On Linux Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    How come everyone else gets beer and wine while I'm stuck here with water ?
    If you or any of the AMD Linux crew ever get to the Cleveland area I will brew up to 10 gallons of whatever beer you want.

Comment

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different.

It's the same driver running on the same GPU (Fury is just a beefed up 285 Tonga GPU). The new memory architecture is nice, but it's the kind of thing that's hidden to drivers - they just see that there's more bandwidth available now, just like Fury has more shader resources than Tonga.

If anything, I'd expect the pre-existing driver limitations that we know are in fglrx to hit this card hardest, since it's the one that would go fastest if the driver would let it.

Comment

On Windows reviewers compare Fury (non X) to GTX 980 (non Ti)... And they mention that Fury is 10% more expensive, but also nearly always faster - let say faster in 90% of situations, so it deserve its higher price.

On Linux, because of software and driver situation (well i think of both nvidia and fglrx drivers, but also of some awfull game ports) i expect at worse Fury to be let say in some cases slower, in some cases in line with GTX 980.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          On Windows reviewers compare Fury (non X) to GTX 980 (non Ti)... And they mention that Fury is 10% more expensive, but also nearly always faster - let say faster in 90% of situations, so it deserve its higher price.

On Linux, because of software and driver situation (well i think of both nvidia and fglrx drivers, but also of some awfull game ports) i expect at worse Fury to be let say in some cases slower, in some cases in line with GTX 980.
          There's a LOT of apps that fglrx is simply capped at around 100fps while NVidia goes up over 200. I don't expect that to change - the 100fps limit in the driver is still going to be there.

The few games where there isn't a cap would be interesting to look at, though.

Comment

Well i am thinking differently there, if fglrx is capped at 100fps then nVidia is capped to 200fps - so to me both are capped, fglrx just earlier. If game XYZ is capped i don't care - game developers should care about that and think before introducing one vendor variabile for the game.

As fglx start to use more profiles recently, i prefer to see performance of those... as i am mostly interested to see hardware performance at his best
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
              If you or any of the AMD Linux crew ever get to the Cleveland area I will brew up to 10 gallons of whatever beer you want.
              I think I could ship you some original Oktoberfest stone mugs for the crew ...
              Lockheed

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

Do you know what is healthy? Water
                Just be sure to avoid pure (distilled) water, that stuff kills you through osmosis

Comment

Here's my honest assessment:The AMD Radeon R9 Fury Is Currently A Disaster On Linux - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21943

Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X