Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where AMD's Catalyst Driver Does The Best On Linux

Phoronix: Where AMD's Catalyst Driver Does The Best On Linux

Earlier this week I finished up a 15-way AMD/NVIDIA graphics card comparison on Linux with the very latest proprietary Linux drivers. That earlier article focused on the OpenGL performance and simply put the Catalyst performance on the tested Radeon hardware was abysmal compared to NVIDIA's Linux driver performance. However, there is one area where the Catalyst Linux driver really excels at performance and routinely beats out the green competition.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Besides LuxMark test, I do not seen much difference between the cutting edge cards between the greens and the reds. As said in the note, OCL 2.x support is coming for the green team and so, as we have a much better *GL performance, I'm still not convinced by AMD's product under Linux (assuming people accept to use the proprietary blobs).
    Last edited by adakite; 24 July 2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael.
      I've been long time looker, it's time for my first post What about other OpenCL tests? I'm thinking specifically about Darktable. Say applying 8-10 modules to a raw file. It would be great to add some real world benchmark as opposed to... ehm.. just benchmark

Comment

Originally posted by vredny View Post
        Hi Michael.
        I've been long time looker, it's time for my first post What about other OpenCL tests? I'm thinking specifically about Darktable. Say applying 8-10 modules to a raw file. It would be great to add some real world benchmark as opposed to... ehm.. just benchmark
        As far as I know DarkTable has no way to do an automated test case / benchmark. i.e. automate all the processes from start to finish. If there is support or it gets added, I'd be happy to make a test profile for it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Youŕe mistakenly equating the 285 with the 370. I'm pretty sure the R9 380 is the product using a Tonga GPU not the R7 370, which iirc uses a Bonair GPU

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
            Youŕe mistakenly equating the 285 with the 370. I'm pretty sure the R9 380 is the product using a Tonga GPU not the R7 370, which iirc uses a Bonair GPU
            Huh? R9 285 is Tonga, R7 370 is Trinidad PRO / Cura?ao PRO /Pitcairn PRO.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope the open source OpenCL will come out soon. Because I would like to be more used on open source software.

Comment

Perhaps fahbench might be an option to add. It does support comandline as well as having a gui. Should work well under linux and is a pretty good indicator of how the gpus will perform running FAH. https://github.com/pandegroup/fahbench
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by vredny View Post
                  Hi Michael.
                  Luxmark is a benchmark based on a real world 3d render engine (Lux Render) that stresses the GPU much better than anything darktable might be able to do, it's a perfectly adeguate test.

I'd rather continue seeing Luxbench tests than darktable based ones.

Comment

It will be interesting to see next week how the Radeon R9 Fury performs under Linux.
                    Per other Windows reviews i can't say Fury is best bang for buck when it comes to OpenCL performance as opossed to what happens to OpenGL... doubles OpenCL performance is even more slower then Hawaii which means 390/X is probably at best for the buck, of course if not some workstation FirePro cards
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 July 2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X