15-Way AMD/NVIDIA Graphics Card Comparison For 4K Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Wasn't aware of that Catalyst bug, but it's still interesting test though for comparing between the different NVIDIA (or AMD) graphics cards.
    the fix would be:
    "rename "witcher2" to eg "witcher2.i386" and write a small script which launches witcher2.i386 --eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds"

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      Either Civilization BE is optimized for AMD (which wouldn't surprise me seeing as it supported Mantle on Windows) or it is broken and is not rendering properly. If it is the former, then it goes to show you that most of the games on Linux are performing much like Project Cars on Windows. If the latter, then it also wouldn't surprise me and AMD's probably going to fix a lot of it when Vulkan is released.
      Since Intel spends more on Research and Development than AMD gets in gross income per year, it's not really a surprise that Intel can afford to put out better drivers for Linux than AMD. AMD undoubtedly puts 99% of its driver development resources into Windows and OS X - and since that's where 99% of the revenue potential exists, it makes sense to me.

Comment

Greatly appreciate these sort of comparisons, let's me know that my desire for the 980Ti in my next gen gaming rig is completely justified.

Comment

Did you read the article?
          Ahaha sorry I was at work, skimming through the results. I was like, well that's weird.

But, if you notice, ALL of the AMD cards are suddenly on par or exceeding the Nvidia GPUs, so it's still very possible that it's optimized for AMD's stuff.
          Last edited by profoundWHALE; 23 July 2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

AMD undoubtedly puts 99% of its driver development resources into Windows and OS X - and since that's where 99% of the revenue potential exists, it makes sense to me.
            That's where the revenue is for Intel an Nvidia, too, yet they do treat Linux better. Plus, it's not ATI had better Linux support in their heyday. Quite the contrary, at some point there was a 3rd party (Windows) driver that provided better performance than the official ones. They've just always been weak when it came to drivers.

PS Ok, Nvidia may make some more money from Linux with their Tesla line.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's where the revenue is for Intel an Nvidia, too, yet they do treat Linux better. Plus, it's not ATI had better Linux support in their heyday. Quite the contrary, at some point there was a 3rd party (Windows) driver that provided better performance than the official ones. They've just always been weak when it came to drivers.

- Mobile seems to be generally low profit, highly competitive, and require very low power requirements and great latency (by that I mean, the time it takes for the voltage to increase after getting a workload), otherwise the smooth transition of windows and apps would be too jarring and feel very unintuitive.
              - Servers seem to be generally high profit, not so competitive, require high efficiency, high performance and great latency, particularly when dealing with memory management.
              - Desktops, or, General use CPUs can be high performance, but don't need as high efficiency.

Right now, Intel is beating AMD on almost every front. (Although, AMD still does provide good perf/$) They're more efficient, better latencies, better memory management, better single threaded performance...

Also, suppose Nvidia, AMD, Intel all spend 1% on Linux drivers, then Intel has the most spending, followed by Nvidia and AMD.

Comment

... The only other AMD GCN cards I own are the R7 260X, R9 270X, and HD 7850,which are in systems in the daily benchmarking farm, but wouldn't add much value anyways considering the R7 370 and HD 7950 are covered.
                The R7 260X is Bonaire. Why wouldn't it add much value considering the HD 7790, R7 260 and R7 360 aren't covered?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Intel and Nvidia are also doing much better financially, which means they are likely under far less pressure to get returns on every dollar spent. They can invest money into products and markets like linux that are intended to be more speculative or otherwise less direct return on investments, while AMD might be under a great deal of pressure to save that money and spend it on something with a clearer ROI.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                    The R7 260X is Bonaire. Why wouldn't it add much value considering the HD 7790, R7 260 and R7 360 aren't covered?
                    R7 260X is stuck up in a daily benchmarking system in the server room.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

R7 260X is stuck up in a daily benchmarking system in the server room.
                      I know, you told me before and why. But why do you make such false statements I quoted ("... wouldn't add much value anyways")?

Comment

Working...
                      X