Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help selecting a 4k enabled gpu for my linux install

Hello!
    I'm tired of windows and think of learning linux. So what could be better than forcing myself to learn by installing a distribution.

I'm going to school and there I'm structuring information in big mindmaps (in xmind). I would like to take the benefits from the new 4k screens to get a bigger picture. I would like a frame rate of minimum 60Hz and it would be nice to be able to pan the screen without tearing.
    I also would like to watch movies on the screen.
    I have an old stationary computer that I'm using and would like to upgrade.
    The Hard ware is as follows:
    8GB ram
    GA-MA69GM-S2H with AMD 690G + SB600 chipset and PCI 1 or 1.1
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition 89W TDI
    PSU Corsair CMPSU-450VX 450Watt
    HDD 6TB Hgst NAS drive

About PCIe 1:
    this article saying that PCIe 2 x8 is equivalent to PCIe 1.1 x16.
    BD Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s an PCIe 1.1 x 16 can do a theoretical bandwidth of 2Gbit/s so I think it could work.

I don't know about the CPU and the load but I think it can playback BD. The computer is down because win 7 is broken so I can't test it.

I would like the card to be stable with proprietary drivers and if possible not to loud, or quiet.
    A good value card but it need not to be the cheapest possible. In my experience it is never good to be at the limit of what the system is capable of when buying new. correct me if I'm wrong about this. I might migrate to better hardware and then it would be nice if the card is still ok.

Help please?

In the next day or two I actually am in the middle of a large 4K NVIDIA/AMD GPU comparison with all the recent cards.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sounds very good! And I must compliment you on your website, you really make a great contribution to the linux community!
      Since I'm not a gamer and I don't understand the benchmarks with games translated to my applications. So will you also describe how the cards could work with 2D applications like office work with Xmind or video playback on 4K?

Comment

Working...
      X