Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Launches Today, Initial Results A Bit Of A Let Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

    they also use S3TC instead of ASTC this makes all these tests invalid in my point of view.

    the test is only valid if the furyX use ASTC and the other cards use only S3TC (because they only can perform S3TC by hardware)...

    otherwise we do not get the result of the capabilities of the FuryX hardware we only get the result of using wrong and obsolet technique on the furyX card.
    Is this a feature the game or game engine has to enable/support? If its compression wouldn't the hardware/driver automatically "just do it"?

    Comment


    • #92
      About the upgradeability: AMD has built NUMA systems for a while now, and some of you may remember the RS780 boards with sideport memory. I don't think it is an unsolveable problem to have some fixed amount of HBM on the interposer, and allowing the user to install extra memory in DDR4 slots.

      Plus, an increasing number of systems (ultrabooks, tablets, HDMI stick PCs, Apple's current Mac Mini, etc.) have soldered non-upgradeable RAM anyway.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by tiwake View Post

        Is this a feature the game or game engine has to enable/support? If its compression wouldn't the hardware/driver automatically "just do it"?
        It's pretty pointless unless the textures are pre-compressed - it's way to slow to do that on the fly with the newer compression algorithms.

        Which means the game has to ship them that way, which means they would only be supporting hardware with ASTC support. Which means it's not happening in anything widespread for quite a while.

        ASTC was driven more on the mobile side of things, i believe, rather than desktop gaming.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by tiwake View Post

          Is this a feature the game or game engine has to enable/support? If its compression wouldn't the hardware/driver automatically "just do it"?
          as smitty3268 said the game need to ship pre-compressed textures. yes that is a downer but I think this feature would have a huge impact.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

          Comment


          • #95
            I think I'd be fine with an APU with integrated HBM on a new socket, with or without optional DDR4 on the side. It'd make the upgrade from my A10-6800k worth it, imo, whereas right now there isn't much point in me upgrading. I feel like it would make the AMD platform complete.

            Comment


            • #96
              Yes, an APU with integrated HBM would be great, but it must also suport DDR3/4 as the standard amount of RAM for a desktop nowadays is 16GB, it would be insane to put that much HBM if possible at all. If it would be FM2+ compatible it would be even better. DDR4 support would be pretty much irrelevant if there are 4GB of HBM on chip, DDR3 is just fine for the CPU.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                Yes, an APU with integrated HBM would be great, but it must also suport DDR3/4 as the standard amount of RAM for a desktop nowadays is 16GB, it would be insane to put that much HBM if possible at all. If it would be FM2+ compatible it would be even better. DDR4 support would be pretty much irrelevant if there are 4GB of HBM on chip, DDR3 is just fine for the CPU.
                I have to disagree with you, I'd rather have 4 GB of HBM than 16GB of DDR4. The only time I would agree is in circumstances where at 4GB the machine is swapping to disk. That's pretty rare. I would like to see 6-8 GB of HBM, that would be better, but 4GB is enough.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I have to disagree with you, I'd rather have 4 GB of HBM than 16GB of DDR4. The only time I would agree is in circumstances where at 4GB the machine is swapping to disk. That's pretty rare. I would like to see 6-8 GB of HBM, that would be better, but 4GB is enough.
                  ^^This. 4GB would be plenty, though more wouldn't hurt. That could be supplemented with 8GB (2x4GB) of DDR4 (only $50-80 on newegg right now) and your system would run smooth as butter. People with larger workloads (rendering, etc.) could and would spend more to have a more capable system, but for gaming that would probably be enough.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    AMD R9 Fury Linux review posted ! http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21943
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X