X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post

It's brilliant isn't it - you have to buy the weaker card - 380 (considering Fury is not a mass product), in order to benefit from the new AMDGPU kernel. AMD logic.
    It is not stright AMD logic, drivers are maded per GPU generation - not per marketing naming

If you look at nVidia it was very similar like you talking about AMDGPU and Tonga , GTX 750/Ti was first Maxwell based card and middle range card... all others in GTX 7xx series was Keplers and some Fermis

So three gens in same series for nvidia and three gens in same series for AMD - it is same thing, both cards vendors do it
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 June 2015, 03:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mao_dze_dun
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well new is a funny definition when most cards are just relabled in the lineup.
    It's brilliant isn't it - you have to buy the weaker card - 380 (considering Fury is not a mass product), in order to benefit from the new AMDGPU kernel. AMD logic. Considering how inflated prices are apparently going to be in Europe, I'm guessing I'll stick to my trusty old 290x (or maybe get another one). Other than that I have no problem with rebranding - for the money people in the US will get a great card. In Europe - not really....

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well new is a funny definition when most cards are just relabled in the lineup.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    All gfxip8 and up (Tonga, Carrizo, Fiji, Iceland/Topaz) are supposed to use the amdgpu kernel driver.

In the 3xx dGPU lineup that means R9 380 and the Fury variants would use amdgpu IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Allen Lorenz
    replied
    So all new card are supposed to use the new amdgpu driver, or not ?

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

A few years back MS lost a lawsuit about that. It allows anyone to independently implement the DX specifications. It's not limited by version, any DirectX falls under the lawsuit. In the case of Windows MS implements the DX libraries. AMD implements the drivers for their hardware. To do what you suggest would require AMD to port the DX front end to their driver to linux -and- develop a new DX library implementation.
    I remember that lawsuit. But AMD doesn't need to port any DX libraries, those are shipped with games or can be installed via Winetricks. I propose for Linux Catalyst to work with Wine as Gallium_Nine. We want an AMD_Nine_Ten_Eleven with Linux Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I try hard not to underestimate people, but some noob out there is going to think "yay it comes with a linux driver". And you admit that it isn't useful beyond a very short scale, so it makes even less sense now.
    Noobs should read what Catalyst supports. Catalyst does not have Linux endless random (you move and i will always catch you whanever you go ) support, it depends on some things and their versions, that said selected number and versions of distributions, like: RHEL, SLED and Ubuntu LTS are only listed in driver as supported, where drivers are tested. So if anyone uses those distros and versions, drivers from CD should work.
    Last edited by dungeon; 16 June 2015, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by artivision View Post

Is anyone at AMD interested to give with Linux Catalyst the D3D9-10-11 front driver / state tracker that is there on Windowz drivers, so to use it with Wine? At least could be this front part allowed to be installed via Wine/Winetricks? Or a GPU pass-trough for Wine to use Windows Catalyst? You Linux policy is not apathy as people saying, it's cheat_y in favor of MS. Its the same with all the other vendors. I thing Linux people will appreciate the one how will strike first for cross compatibility.
    A few years back MS lost a lawsuit about that. It allows anyone to independently implement the DX specifications. It's not limited by version, any DirectX falls under the lawsuit. In the case of Windows MS implements the DX libraries. AMD implements the drivers for their hardware. To do what you suggest would require AMD to port the DX front end to their driver to linux -and- develop a new DX library implementation.

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We are adding Fiji support to the amdgpu kernel driver as well. Not sure of exact timing yet but sooner rather than later.

What don't you see making sense ? Nobody uses the factory CD for anything other than initial install anyways, at least nobody I know.
    Is anyone at AMD interested to give with Linux Catalyst the D3D9-10-11 front driver / state tracker that is there on Windowz drivers, so to use it with Wine? At least could be this front part allowed to be installed via Wine/Winetricks? Or a GPU pass-trough for Wine to use Windows Catalyst? You Linux policy is not apathy as people saying, it's cheat_y in favor of MS. Its the same with all the other vendors. I thing Linux people will appreciate the one how will strike first for cross compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Why would anyone need the CD in 2 years?
    Probably the open source driver will run pretty good on that hardware in 2 years, and the few that need the closed driver can download an resent version and install it.
    Of course that's a very good point I hadn't considered. By then the OSS drivers will be on every current media, so it really doesn't matter does it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X