AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    R7 370 is now in mid/low end cards segment it is not flagship product, to care about much. Yes it is oldest gen currentlly in 3xx series, people should be informed by that of course if they want to use it on FreeSync monitor - that it does not support FreeSync, etc... so what, do AMD especially need to advertise 'NoFreeSync' on R7 370 boxes
    AMD should have never allowed Pitcairn/Curacao/Trinidad to carry the 3xx model number. What they tried to achieve is to uplift its value by calling it R7 370. What they actually achieved is that they sank the perception of the whole 3xx series.

You have those kind of things in Intel CPUs much more then on AMD CPUs, where often on low/mid level CPU some instructions are missing, but no one advertising missing features at all, etc...
    Yep, and that is why I don't buy Intel CPUs, but have a bought a Kabini Notebook, including AES-NI and hardware virtualization support.

You probably don't want any of these cards, as VP9 decoder is not available on any of AMD cards.

Dunno what is issue about, you seems to want similar things like Kano - exactly what those don't have I guess you know those can't be added on a finished chips, so yelding about those does not help anymore...

Only it can be added to the wishlist, for some future chips
    VP9 would have been very nice but is not a hard requirement for me. HEVC is sufficient too. But decoding 4K VP9/HEVC on the CPU won't fly for me. HDMI 2.0, I can't believe that AMD is so much out of touch with their users that they think it doesn't matter (or worse, they know it matters and it's all smooth talk and patronizing now).

So you are complaing because AMD posts one preview driver installer which supports Fury and R3xx series on two 64bit OS only
    Again, this is about perception.

As I wrote above, the perception of the 3xx series is now a mix of ageing and somewhat recent GPUs. People suspect that AMD is trying to pretend that these are newer and better, while in reality they might be not.

Now AMD releases a new driver. It will work only on 3xx cards, not on the 2xx despite the very similar hardware. Compared to the old driver, there are performance improvements in some games.

Doesn't AMD realize what kind of devastating message this sends? To someone who is already suspecting that AMD may be pulling a stunt here? (I know that people hacked the driver to work on 2xx cards too and found no evidence of AMD wrongdoing here, but that is not the point)

The person at AMD who authorized all this deserves a good beating with the cluebat. I hope they realize what damage this has done and how much goodwill was destroyed, and I also hope that AMD gets the chance to fix this in the next card generation.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      AMD should have never allowed Pitcairn/Curacao/Trinidad to carry the 3xx model number. What they tried to achieve is to uplift its value by calling it R7 370. What they actually achieved is that they sank the perception of the whole 3xx series.
      Why not, are you aware those kind of things are nothing new? And that those happened many times for both nVidia and AMD, and i know what i saying here... if you want to revisit history of both card vendors, by even going back 15 years ago you can found same like those examples.

Yep, and that is why I don't buy Intel CPUs, but have a bought a Kabini Notebook, including AES-NI and hardware virtualization support.
      Cool, i have Kabini too.

As I wrote above, the perception of the 3xx series is now a mix of ageing and somewhat recent GPUs. People suspect that AMD is trying to pretend that these are newer and better, while in reality they might be not.
      Look at 3xx, 2xx, 8xxx, 7xxx, 6xxx or any series going back, that also happened too for some cards. It is mostly always mix of old - mix of new And that was not something AMD only doing, but nVidia too

Are you remember let say GeForce 2MX and GeForce 4MX? Both slower or older then slowest GeForce 3, but 4 is just bigger number... also both 2MX an 4MX had tv-out, but other from series 2 or 3 does not have it
      Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Rebrands are of course nothing new.
        But ever since it was revealed that the whole 3xx line was basically old GPUs, the only interesting question that remained is how bad exactly the rebranding would become. And that a first-generation GCN chip was included in the line was the worst imaginable case.

I'll quote Murphy on this
        Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy: If you put a spoonful of wine in a barrel full of sewage, you get sewage. If you put a spoonful of sewage in a barrel full of wine, you get sewage.
        I wrote in the other thread that hardware sites published entire articles to warn their readers about the R7 370. What impression do you think someone who reads such an article will get?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          I wrote in the other thread that hardware sites published entire articles to warn their readers about the R7 370. What impression do you think someone who reads such an article will get?
          I think public impression will mostly be "this card will go down in price soon" Besides no FreeSync, there is nothing really to loose much there - it is still GCN and it supports Windows10 and DX12.
          Last edited by dungeon; 21 June 2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

In case you still have got Windows try MPC-HC x64, seems to be pretty fast with current Radeon cards and HEVC 10 bit. Just want to know what Linux player can be used...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              In case you still have got Windows try MPC-HC x64, seems to be pretty fast with current Radeon cards and HEVC 10 bit. Just want to know what Linux player can be used...
              A ffmpeg developer bought a Geforce 960 for testing so he'll be able to add a hevc_vdpau hwaccel. I just checked the ffmpeg mailing list, it's almost done, there's still some issues: https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/f...ne/174386.html. Once that is fully complete and checked in, mpv will for sure immediately pick it up. Of course when it comes to radeon, support will also need to be added to the gallium vdpau state tracker, don't know the status there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Of course when it comes to radeon, support will also need to be added to the gallium vdpau state tracker, don't know the status there.
                Just a little digression - you mean amdgpu or mesa's radeonsi, as any radeon driver supported hardware does not have HEVC decoder.

I still think status quo is the status for amdgpu driver if i can guess. Probably amdgpu in time of kernel 4.10 or earlier will introduce that support, and userspece in due that time, but probably not for vdpau as Red Hat seems to would want just Wayland at the time All this does not sound bright, if someone is in hurry like a Kano, but a like to be real

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                A ffmpeg developer bought a Geforce 960 for testing so he'll be able to add a hevc_vdpau hwaccel. I just checked the ffmpeg mailing list, it's almost done, there's still some issues: https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/f...ne/174386.html.
                This support is not useful for any real world application, but I believe that it is correct
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Initial AMD Radeon R9 Fury Linux review - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21943
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    All gfxip8 and up (Tonga, Carrizo, Fiji, Iceland/Topaz) are supposed to use the amdgpu kernel driver.

In the 3xx dGPU lineup that means R9 380 and the Fury variants would use amdgpu IIRC.
                    Does the R7 M260 (Topaz XT) also fall under amdgpu?

Comment

Working...
                    X