AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The biggest let-down was the R7 370, basically three years old tech sold as the "new era of PC gaming". Plus it exposed previous promises by AMD that all new products would support FreeSync as false.
    Are you sure that's the right link ? That one just talked about new *silicon*, which I think is still the case.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are you sure that's the right link ? That one just talked about new *silicon*, which I think is still the case.
      Indeed, that was the wrong link, thanks for pointing it out. The correct one is http://techreport.com/news/26919/fre...ling-next-year
      Originally posted by The Tech Report
      Some of AMD's current products use cheaper display controllers that won't be compatible with Adaptive-Sync. (A full list of compatible GPUs and APUs is available here.) However, Huddy said all future AMD hardware will support the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
        For me the single biggest thing in the AMD presentation was HBM memory.
        HBM v1 is nice, but HBM v2 will probably be even nicer.

If AMD developed and owns (the patents on) HBM memory, that could mean AMD is back in the game.
        Not only against NVidia but also against Intel.

Will Nvidia or Intel be able to use HBM memory ?
        I checked HBM out on Wikipedia, and you seem correct. HBM was developed by AMD and Hynix. It seems to be built by JEDEC however. That is neat, an extra income source for AMD to better compete with NVidia.

Comment

Indeed, that was the wrong link, thanks for pointing it out. The correct one is http://techreport.com/news/26919/fre...ling-next-year
          Ahh, OK -- that article used the term "hardware" which internally means "silicon" (and I'm sure that's what Richard was thinking) but externally is kind of ambiguous. Bleah.
          Last edited by bridgman; 17 June 2015, 10:20 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

All gfxip8 and up (Tonga, Carrizo, Fiji, Iceland/Topaz) are supposed to use the amdgpu kernel driver.

In the 3xx dGPU lineup that means R9 380 and the Fury variants would use amdgpu IIRC.
            Another new word gfxip8..... I kinda like it. EDIT: now just consolidate all conventions to this one.
            Last edited by duby229; 17 June 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

He, he, one single oldest gen card in whole current card and APU series does not support freesync... that is probably the biggest let-down for sure, one black sheep in the family

That will probably just be biggest deal for price to go down
              Last edited by dungeon; 17 June 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                I checked HBM out on Wikipedia, and you seem correct. HBM was developed by AMD and Hynix. It seems to be built by JEDEC however. That is neat, an extra income source for AMD to better compete with NVidia.
                Well, I don't know where the dies will be fabricated, probably in dresden germany by the global foundry guys. But the wafers get diffused and packaged somewhere in singapore... That's where the HBM magic is really happening... I'm still confused on how AMD is dealing with the different heights caused by the HBM stack. The heatspeaders will require some extreme precision machining.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  He, he, one single oldest gen card in whole current card and APU series does not support freesync... that is probably the biggest let-down for sure, one black sheep in the family
                  I thought Kaveri supported Freesync -- where are you getting your info ?
                  Test signature

Comment

EDIT: This was actually a double post more or less. please ignore.
                    Last edited by duby229; 17 June 2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I thought Kaveri supported Freesync -- where are you getting your info ?
                      Which info? Who said Kaveri does not support it?

I think you should turn on sarcasm detector and read again

Comment

Working...
                      X