No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me the single biggest thing in the AMD presentation was HBM memory.
    HBM v1 is nice, but HBM v2 will probably be even nicer.

If AMD developed and owns (the patents on) HBM memory, that could mean AMD is back in the game.
    Not only against NVidia but also against Intel.

Will Nvidia or Intel be able to use HBM memory ?

Comment

Anyone else think that if AMD's driver got it's act together out of the door the fury nano would be perfect for the steam boxes!

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
        For me the single biggest thing in the AMD presentation was HBM memory.
        HBM v1 is nice, but HBM v2 will probably be even nicer.

If AMD developed and owns (the patents on) HBM memory, that could mean AMD is back in the game.
        Not only against NVidia but also against Intel.

Will Nvidia or Intel be able to use HBM memory ?
        Yes. Nvidia are releasing their first HBM cards in winter 2016 if I recall correctly.

Comment

For me the most interesting card was the Fury Nano. Too bad that they will launch it last.

The biggest let-down was the R7 370, basically three years old tech sold as the "new era of PC gaming". Plus it exposed previous promises by AMD that all new products would support FreeSync as false.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          nVidia released opensource NVGPU driver: TitanX/980/970/960/750 and Tegra X1 will be supported

And no, no Kepler and Fermi based cards, nor Tegra K1 will be supported.
          Actually they did even worse.
          There was an opentegra driver in development for their older Tegra chipsets, but then NVidia hired its developer. Following that the project was abandoned, no commits in almost a year.
          Last edited by chithanh; 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM. Reason: use correct URL

Comment

Well from specs HBM has about 33% more bandwidth over current Nvidia solutions but i highly doubt that the Fury X will be much faster than the 980 Ti as you often need special driver optimisations to fully use the potential.

Comment

If enough hardware is exposed for OpenGL 3.x, I'd be very surprised if someone wasn't messing with, say, GalliumTen. I'd rather see that than something stuck on Catalyst.

Comment

DX10 means OpenGL 4 hardware. If you have got this then you could think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think h265 supported on Fiji (Antigua maybe), no vp9 support on any

Anyway if anyone is missed presentation
                  Interesting video. If nothing else this technology will eventually move into all AMD products. Here I mean the HBM. I can see APU's coming very shortly where the addition of external memory isn't even possible.

Comment

Why does the AMD marketing keep saying "online gaming"? Do they fear the products would be perceived as "less cool" if they even implied they work with offline games as well?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      Interesting video. If nothing else this technology will eventually move into all AMD products. Here I mean the HBM. I can see APU's coming very shortly where the addition of external memory isn't even possible.
                      Transition probably does not work that fast like most people think, otherwise we will already have Wayland since 2008. by default on Linux Desktops and people already working on Trashland since then

Not sure how much more, but HBM is more pricey and also comes with limited capacity... so there will be probably be more then couple generations until GDDR5 fully dissapear

Yeah for APUs should be good to have a little HBM in there to unleash bandwidth problems, but that should also cost more
                      Last edited by dungeon; 06-17-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X