AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We are adding Fiji support to the amdgpu kernel driver as well. Not sure of exact timing yet but sooner rather than later.

What don't you see making sense ? Nobody uses the factory CD for anything other than initial install anyways, at least nobody I know.
    This is what I want to know because as I said I plan on it. Will there be clock speed support unlike with tonga?

The water cooled version has a closed loop with a single 120mm fan there are pictures on it, typically it would replace your rear case fan (assuming you have the space).
    Last edited by nightmarex; 16 June 2015, 03:36 PM. Reason: typo a 120npm fan would be dinky =/

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I will soon buy one... When they are available in germany and not too expensive here.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'm not an AMD dev but in my experience, if you're looking for linux support and especially open source support, you might want to either wait or go for one of the GCN 1.1 (or older) GPUs. This isn't an attack on AMD - Linux usually isn't ideal for cutting-edge hardware unless it's used in servers. Nvidia has good linux support because their GPUs are used in servers.

If you wait for the 4.2 kernel, or, if you do a lot of openCL stuff (with catalyst) I'm sure you'll get some decent support with the Fury GPUs.
        As an early adopter of southern islands I know this pain well... honeslty the card is getting better all the time no more random crashing great performance, I think I just like to suffer XD. I have high hopes that it isn't going to be the same level hardship.

Comment

New features for the Rx 300 series: Frame-Rate Target Control (FRTC) to limit rendering performance when the target is reached to avoid rendering unnecessary frames. Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) for rendering games at higher resolutions and then down-scaling to your monitor's panel resolution.
          Are you sure it's an overview of AMD Fury and not ATI Rage? Because that sure sounds like VSync and supersampling AA.

Comment

We are adding Fiji support to the amdgpu kernel driver as well.
            I'll be the first git tester of Fiji. I'm already compiling the needed git directories day to day in anticipation of Fiji day 0 woes.

Side question: if I'm finding bugs in open source now, do I expect correctly they may carry over into Fiji woes later due to code sharing? I'll post my current bugs to bugzilla later.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

But without the amdgpu support it seems very unlikely that a linux driver on a factory cd would be usable in the future. Say 2 years from now some noob tries installing that driver on the then latest kernel and it doesn't work or the then latest xorg and it doesn't work....

I just don't see it making sense.
              Why would anyone need the CD in 2 years?
              Probably the open source driver will run pretty good on that hardware in 2 years, and the few that need the closed driver can download an resent version and install it.

Comment

Any news on the video capabilities (h265 vp9 etc) of these cards??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Any news on the video capabilities (h265 vp9 etc) of these cards??
                  I think h265 supported on Fiji (Antigua maybe), no vp9 support on any

Anyway if anyone is missed presentation

Last edited by dungeon; 16 June 2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

We are adding Fiji support to the amdgpu kernel driver as well. Not sure of exact timing yet but sooner rather than later.

What don't you see making sense ? Nobody uses the factory CD for anything other than initial install anyways, at least nobody I know.
                    I try hard not to underestimate people, but some noob out there is going to think "yay it comes with a linux driver". And you admit that it isn't useful beyond a very short scale, so it makes even less sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                      Why would anyone need the CD in 2 years?
                      Probably the open source driver will run pretty good on that hardware in 2 years, and the few that need the closed driver can download an resent version and install it.
                      Of course that's a very good point I hadn't considered. By then the OSS drivers will be on every current media, so it really doesn't matter does it?

Comment

Working...
                      X