Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Phoronix: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

A week ago we looked at the brand-new ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card under Linux. This graphics card launch was unlike any in ATI's history where with the introduction of a brand new product generation, Linux users were greeted by same-day Linux support -- both through their proprietary fglrx driver and with the open-source xf86-video-ati driver. In addition, some of the board partners are opting to put Tux on their product packaging and shipping the Linux drivers on their product CDs. As we had also exclusively shared, AMD will soon be approaching a feature parity between the Windows and Linux drivers. Today we're publishing our complete review of the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB as well as delivering additional benchmarks from the Radeon HD 4850 under Linux, of course.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn nice card, but your Diamond 4850 looked better

Comment

I so want one of those cards. Damn lack of money .

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Damn nice card, but your Diamond 4850 looked better
        So d2kx, did you like the AA numbers (from page 7 and on?)

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Then the Linux support is so good with fglrx then show a wine screenshot playing Trackmania Nations Forever...

Comment

Ahh, you mean the Windows support with fglrx
            Last edited by bridgman; 03 July 2008, 11:45 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

@Matthew: of course I do I was talking about the design of the card, just in case you've misunderstood me.

@Kano: I've played Trackmania United: Forever when the Catalyst 8.5 was released, haven't tried it with any driver newer than that one (8.6), because I prefer playing the few Windows-native games under that other OS to get the best performance possible, but I'll try that out again for you in a few days if you like.

Comment

A very nice review, it was good to see the newer cards distancing themselves a bit more.

Why were there no results for X-plane at higher resolutions and AA/AF settings? (This was what I was most interested in).

Also there's no discussion about X-video playback - from what I hear in these forums, it's not even possible to play back X-video in a window and use compiz at the same time. And what about tearing?

My GeForce 6800GT is hours away from death and I want to hear that as a Linux user I can finally live with an ATI card! I'm hugely encouraged (especially by some of the AMD guys on these forums) but not yet quite convinced...

Comment

I'm still waiting for this Tux on the box and Linux drivers on the CD thing. I still have yet to find any Radeon 4000 series cards which have either of these. So far there still appears to be a total lack of advertising for Linux. That's great that Linux is supported "internally" better, but without actual exposure no one else will know or care except those who are already using it. Actual advertising for Linux is far more important than a few more features added to their Linux drivers IMO, but it all still helps of course and ATI has been great with Linux support. I know it's up to these vendors to mention Linux, but you'd think they would at least say *something* about Linux now, even if they don't put a penguin on the front, at least list it in the system requirements on the side or mention it on the back or something??

Has anyone seen or read anything about Linux at all anywhere on any of these new graphics cards??

I mean, if we are told that Tux is going to be on the box and drivers on the CD, and then it doesn't happen, anywhere, then, that was a pointless falsehood, so why was it said? Their sources were obviously overzealous before they had the facts I guess? I mean, why say it otherwise?

It's like saying "THIS JUST IN, companies could put a huge penguin on the front of the box if they wanted to!" Well, of course they can, but the real question is will they, and who will be the first? When one of them actually does it, that will be real actual news. Here's to hoping it'll happen eventually though.
                  Last edited by Yfrwlf; 03 July 2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

In addition, some of the board partners are opting to put Tux on their product packaging and shipping the Linux drivers on their product CDs
                    Which "partners"? I want to buy from a Linux supported partner.

Comment

Working...
                    X