Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI X1550 + fglrx = extreme issues... radeonhd is too "beta-ey" for me, please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI X1550 + fglrx = extreme issues... radeonhd is too "beta-ey" for me, please help!!

Hi

I have an ATI X1550 (RV505-based) card that given me nothing but trouble in the past: at first try to make it work with Linux (after switching from winfailure), I had zero success; I removed it and switched back to my integrated Intel 845G video. Then, on subsequent occasions I would install the card, try to "make it go", and eventually give up and remove it.

Thankfully, I've finally got it to run at the non-standard mode of 84Hz and not 83Hz when running my display at 1400x1050 (the 1Hz difference was really making my eyes hurt like mad and it even gave me a headache once), and I can now actually *use* the card. So, first things first, I played a game, then tried to get Compiz Fusion to work, considering my progress. Compiz has never worked on this card for me. Not once.

Along the way of trying to get get Compiz to work, some tiny change I made has resulted in *every app that requests acceleration* crashing when run. Example:

Code:
    -> glxgears
    Segmentation fault
    -> fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    Segmentation fault
    -> fglrxinfo
    Segmentation fault
    -> amdcccle
    Segmentation fault
    -> glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    Segmentation fault
    ->
    So, no matter what I've tried, I simply cannot get acceleration to work, including trying countless different xorg.conf files, testing different options, even trying to start from scratch - and I can't even do that: X -configure doesn't work because X says this isn't a dual-head card while the driver says it *is* a dual-head card... they duke it out then X just gives up altogether:

Code:
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found

(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found
    Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
      Configuration failed.
    I've tried reinstalling the fglrx driver (to recreate /etc/ati/*), I've poked about in /proc/modules (I removed intel_agp from the modules list then rebooted, in the hope it would help - it didn't)... and everything I can think to do. This honestly has me stumped, and I don't really know what to do next.

Any suggestions, ideas or help would be most welcome.

I run Arch Linux.

-dav7

PS. Like I noted in the topic, the last I tried of radeonhd produced bad flickers when I tried to do absolutely anything, and IIRC was what wouldn't switch to 84Hz and therefore gave me the headache!
    Last edited by dav7; 10 June 2008, 11:54 PM.

Might be a good time to give radeon a try; if you feel up to building mesa, drm, radeon and xserver from git the result is a pretty complete open driver (2d, 3d, textured video etc..). It only became complete in the last couple of weeks, which is why you need to build so much from git...
    Test signature

Comment

Wow, that's awesome. I might just do that!
      Last edited by dav7; 10 June 2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

EDIT: To be sure, is this...

Mesa:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa

DRM:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm

Radeon:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd

X.org:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver

...what I need to get?

Comment

First two are correct. The radeon driver is actually in xf86-video-ati (ati is a wrapper for radeon, r128 and mach64).

I haven't actually built X so not sure about the last, but it looks right.
          Test signature

Comment

Thanks a heap.

Comment

Epic... failure

Sadly, this has only made my problem several hundred thousand orders of magnitude worse: I managed to build everything successfully - I think - then had no idea what to do with it. I built it all into /opt/gfx-ati/ but don't really know how to "integrate" it or whatever into my system.

I copied the radeon_drv.so driver into /usr/lib/xorg/modules which did work: X booted up and thought I had a working system. I started Firefox to check if there was anything else I needed to do (I found a wiki page related to the radeonhd driver which covered building X) and found that *something* was terribly broken because while FF was open firefox-bin and X combined used 100% CPU for a considerable amount of time, FF took much, much longer than usual to open a measly 10 tabs on this 2.66GHz P4, and all the while I was getting more and more distressed as time went on (since I have aspergers... now, anything can go wrong in just about any area, and I'll be okay, but if it's my computer I fall to pieces).

So, in this state I have no idea what to do next. I promptly switched back to the fglrx driver... and am, once again, stumped. I can't really do much on my PC since, well, X isn't working properly...!

Maybe I'll tinker around in textmode for now.

-dav7
              Last edited by dav7; 11 June 2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

No worries. My guess is that some of the stuff you built automatically installed itself and the rest did not. Probably best would be to hop onto the #radeon IRC channel if you're comfortable with that... although most of the folks there will be sleeping for a few more hours.

You mentioned "promptly" switching to fglrx -- just wanted to mention that if you're switching from fglrx to something else it's pretty important to uninstall the fglrx driver first. Each of the drivers installs an kernel module and a few other libs, and in general mixing bits and pieces from multiple drivers only leads to unhappiness.

If you're OK with IRC then hopping on there in the morning would probably be a good bet, unless someone can jump in here and help tonight.
                Test signature

Comment

Ah.

*scratches head*

I'm not sure if stuff would install itself and some wouldn't... I specified --prefix=/opt/gfx-ati/ to everything.

I'm on #radeon in freenode right now as... you guessed it - dav7. :P

Comment

Sounds like you got pretty close last night and learned far more than you ever wanted about X
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X