Should I get an ati or nvidia card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
    i know of no one not having these issues..
    I call BS. I seriously doubt that many people have problems with the nvidia blob locking up their system because if there where you would see far more posts in the nvidia forum here with people trying to find fixes for the problem.

If you want to hate nvidia that's fine just criticise what they do badly like their MB chipsets, the fact that they release far to many cards and make it hard for people who don't read tech sites to pick and card or the UMAP policy they are putting in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      If you want to hate nvidia that's fine just criticise what they do badly like their MB chipsets,.
      Maybe you should clarify that, for AMD procs the Nforce chipsets have been excellent. (Myself I own systems with Nforce 2,3,5,7 series. I also own ATI chipsets, RS690/600 and 790FX/600, and had VIA's as well. Via was just plain crud, ATI's are still featureless and have crappy drive controllers). For intel on the other hand....

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
        I call BS. I seriously doubt that many people have problems with the nvidia blob locking up their system because if there where you would see far more posts in the nvidia forum here with people trying to find fixes for the problem.

If you want to hate nvidia that's fine just criticise what they do badly like their MB chipsets, the fact that they release far to many cards and make it hard for people who don't read tech sites to pick and card or the UMAP policy they are putting in the USA.
        well then call BS on your own blobtainted kernel... this is real issues, and people are having it..

Comment

well then call BS on your own blobtainted kernel... this is real issues, and people are having it..

You know when there is a known issue with the blobs, nvnews.net's forum have superlong threads on the issue. Take a look there, there is no long thread about lockups. For crying out loud, there's a longer thread about "Audio through HDMI" then there is of one single thread saying the blobs are locking systems.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            You know when there is a known issue with the blobs, nvnews.net's forum have superlong threads on the issue. Take a look there, there is no long thread about lockups. For crying out loud, there's a longer thread about "Audio through HDMI" then there is of one single thread saying the blobs are locking systems.
            perhaps because most people dont do the thing that actually hits the bug?

Comment

Ohhhh, so now your saying that it doesn't effect everybody? Did you just not say

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Maybe you should clarify that, for AMD procs the Nforce chipsets have been excellent. (Myself I own systems with Nforce 2,3,5,7 series. I also own ATI chipsets, RS690/600 and 790FX/600, and had VIA's as well. Via was just plain crud, ATI's are still featureless and have crappy drive controllers). For intel on the other hand....
                Only had the "joy" of playing with nvidia's intel chipset so I didn't release their AMD stuff was good, I stand corrected.

Originally posted by Redeeman
                If it was happening that often you say you can be damn sure there would be a bug report on it as far more trivial bugs get reported and linux user tend to be pro-active about bug reporting.

If you want the bug fixed don't bitch and moan about it here go to the official forums and post about it because you seem to know what causes it which will make it easier for them to reproduce and fix it.

Comment

The performance/stability of either driver depends greatly on the environment it's used. My Ubuntu machines with ATI chips in them run flawlessly, the OpenSuse ones so-so, but the ones running Fedora are a nightmare. The same for the ones running nvidia chips; for some reason they don't run as well in OpenSuse than with Ubuntu. Go figure.
                  Oh, and nvidia chips for Intel mobos suck. Enthusiasts avoid them like the plague and preffer Intel chips. On the AMD side it's a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    The same for the ones running nvidia chips; for some reason they don't run as well in OpenSuse than with Ubuntu.
                    What issue are you having with them in opensuse? That's what I run.

Comment

Locks and slow 2D performance with a 6800. It's not that bad (except for the system locks). I don't experience many of the more serious bugs people report (from either driver set). They just seem to run better in Ubuntu for some reason. I have noticed that OpenSuse's configurations in xorg.conf tend to end up with a crapload of (in my opinion) useless entries, compared to Ubuntu's.

Comment

Working...
                      X