Clear All

• Redeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    So do tell us, how to replicate it.
    1: install pos nvidia driver
    2: run the system
    3: observe it crash.

If you wanna provoke it, you may try open opengl stuff while using xv, i can make a hardlock appear this way with ~90% reproducability within 5 minutes...

Nvidia! the way its meant to be crashed!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    1 h? With my script it is just a few seconds, on slow connections a few minutes Fully automatic - works even in live mode of Kanotix and Ubuntu (even 8.04).

Supports 2.6.26 (with XEN disabled) and GTX 280/260 - with legacy fallback for all 3 (!!!) legacy drivers...

Leave a comment:

• sabriah
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    You know that there have been permanently problems with AGP cards? I would get rid of the board soon and get a PCI-E card.
    I bought a PCI-E GeForce 8800GT card a few days ago. I set it up in an hour, with OpenGL, DRI, Compiz Fusion etc.

I still don't get my HD2900XT to work well with ATI's drivers, and I have waited a year. Heck, my old Radeon 9200SE works better...

My advice, stick with what works now. GeForce 8800GT 512MB is a brutal bargain today. Don't wait for a great maybe tomorrow. I know I never will again.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
    most people dont run their system the way it takes to get the bugs, but even despite this, LOTS of people are having it, and lots of people have undoubtedly reported it, I know _I_ have..

and as for whats causing it? the extremely crappy quality of the crappy driver.

So do tell us, how to replicate it.

Leave a comment:

• Redeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    Only had the "joy" of playing with nvidia's intel chipset so I didn't release their AMD stuff was good, I stand corrected.

If it was happening that often you say you can be damn sure there would be a bug report on it as far more trivial bugs get reported and linux user tend to be pro-active about bug reporting.

If you want the bug fixed don't bitch and moan about it here go to the official forums and post about it because you seem to know what causes it which will make it easier for them to reproduce and fix it.
    most people dont run their system the way it takes to get the bugs, but even despite this, LOTS of people are having it, and lots of people have undoubtedly reported it, I know _I_ have..

and as for whats causing it? the extremely crappy quality of the crappy driver.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    For AGP cards try raising AGP Voltage +0.1V in BIOS.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Locks and slow 2D performance with a 6800. It's not that bad (except for the system locks). I don't experience many of the more serious bugs people report (from either driver set). They just seem to run better in Ubuntu for some reason. I have noticed that OpenSuse's configurations in xorg.conf tend to end up with a crapload of (in my opinion) useless entries, compared to Ubuntu's.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    The same for the ones running nvidia chips; for some reason they don't run as well in OpenSuse than with Ubuntu.
    What issue are you having with them in opensuse? That's what I run.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    The performance/stability of either driver depends greatly on the environment it's used. My Ubuntu machines with ATI chips in them run flawlessly, the OpenSuse ones so-so, but the ones running Fedora are a nightmare. The same for the ones running nvidia chips; for some reason they don't run as well in OpenSuse than with Ubuntu. Go figure.
    Oh, and nvidia chips for Intel mobos suck. Enthusiasts avoid them like the plague and preffer Intel chips. On the AMD side it's a bit better.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Maybe you should clarify that, for AMD procs the Nforce chipsets have been excellent. (Myself I own systems with Nforce 2,3,5,7 series. I also own ATI chipsets, RS690/600 and 790FX/600, and had VIA's as well. Via was just plain crud, ATI's are still featureless and have crappy drive controllers). For intel on the other hand....
    Only had the "joy" of playing with nvidia's intel chipset so I didn't release their AMD stuff was good, I stand corrected.

Originally posted by Redeeman
    i know of no one not having these issues..
    well then call BS on your own blobtainted kernel... this is real issues, and people are having it..
    If it was happening that often you say you can be damn sure there would be a bug report on it as far more trivial bugs get reported and linux user tend to be pro-active about bug reporting.

perhaps because most people dont do the thing that actually hits the bug?
    If you want the bug fixed don't bitch and moan about it here go to the official forums and post about it because you seem to know what causes it which will make it easier for them to reproduce and fix it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X