Graphics Hopes For 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Hopes For 2007

With 2006 now coming to a close (and both ATI and NVIDIA Year in Review articles being completed) what things would you like to see your respective manufacturer (whether it be Intel, ATI, or NVIDIA) complete in the next year whether it is hardware or their Linux display drivers? In other words, what do you hope is on their immediate wish list?

Improved control panel? Improved MultiGPU performance? Faster more cost effective graphics cards? Drivers that comply with the GPL?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

I hope that the manufactures either release their own drivers under the GPL or that they provide the specs so that it is easier to provide open source drivers. All the control panel stuff can be done via other tools when the drivers are open. No need to provide extra card specific tools.
    I only ask myself: Why is Intel able to release their drivers under the GPL while AMD/ATI and NVIDIA are not able to? If the big ones are not able to provide drivers I at least hope that there will be more full size ATX board with Intel graphics and an integrated DVI out, or that Intel will release standalone graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      With 2006 now coming to a close (and both ATI and NVIDIA Year in Review articles being completed) what things would you like to see your respective manufacturer (whether it be Intel, ATI, or NVIDIA) complete in the next year whether it is hardware or their Linux display drivers? In other words, what do you hope is on their immediate wish list?

Improved control panel? Improved MultiGPU performance? Faster more cost effective graphics cards? Drivers that comply with the GPL?
      I hope for improved ATI performance, AIGLX, and the Nouveau project to work out and have reliable drivers. I also hope for open-source Radeon X1000 Linux drivers in X11R73.

Comment

Open source graphics drivers for Linux... from either company (because that would mean the other would have to follow). I know it a long shot, but is it impossible? Nope, I think it could happen.

Comment

I'm still keeping my hopes up on the AMD rumor it opening up as much as possible.

I really hope it'll be then possible, to replace simple IP'ed (closed) parts like s3tc with an open implantation (shouldn't be hard since it's all done in the card right?)

Then, the rest will follow, performance? I'm sure we can get quite some out of it (look at the r300 OSS drivers, they are doing pretty damn good I think).

So yeah, OSS drivers is what I'm hoping for. AMD/ATi drivers!

Comment

Working...
          X