• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I deleta information like?:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection
    What is the more simple xorg.conf thai I can have?

Comment

DefaultDepth just forces the color depth to 24bit. Just leave it there. As for Xv, try playing some videos with that extension; if the video player crashes or complains about an invalid extension/overlay, then try setting the VideoOverlay/TexturedVideo options I mentioned.
      If you do force those options, which one to use will depend on what card you have; according to Bridgman, cards older than the x1xxx series had a better overlay engine than the newer cards, which in turn had much better shader processing. TexturedVideo just forces the card to render Xv using the 3d engine (shaders), therefore it being preferred with cards that have powerfull shader capabilities. You could still use TexturedVideo on, say, a 9800PRO, but chances are that it would be slower than using regular VideoOverlay. This of course, matters little if you have a powerful card, but when using a lowly IGP, every little bit of speed gains matter.

Edit: Here is how my xorg.conf looks (I use aticonfig):
      Code:
      Section "Monitor"
          Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
          Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
          Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
          Option        "DPMS" "true"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
          Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
          Driver      "fglrx"
          Option        "TexturedVideo"    "on" 
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
          Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
          Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
          DefaultDepth     24
          SubSection "Display"
              Viewport   0 0
              Depth     24
              Modes    "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
          EndSubSection
      Last edited by Melcar; 29 April 2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I installed Hardy this morning, it automatically detected and asked for me to install my GFX drivers (I presume they're the current 8.4's) however, now I don't get any display.

I'm using a 3850 AGP.

I'll reinstall the OS tonight and do it manually, just wondering if this was a Hardy bug or something to with the fact it's an AGP card.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

A lot of people on the french forum of Ubuntu have problems with the driver ati, nvidia and intel on Hardy...

Comment

I *think* the issue is that Hardy came out at a point of rapid change in the X framework. The X server version seems to be an awkward one which works OK with the drivers that shipped with Hardy but doesn't work well with many older or newer drivers.

Take all this with a grain of salt, it's just the impression I have picked up over the last couple of days.
            Test signature

Comment

>.<

I knew I should have paid attention when in French lessons. ^^

Cheers buddy, I'll look into that. My girlfriend's father is a French teacher, he might be able to translate things for me if Google fails.

I'll report back my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired_God View Post
                I installed Hardy this morning, it automatically detected and asked for me to install my GFX drivers (I presume they're the current 8.4's) however, now I don't get any display.
                Hardy shipped with 8.03. Works good with my HD3870, but it is a PCI-e card. The AGP cards seem to be problematic.

Comment

Yep, I believe the drivers that shipped with Hardy work OK, it's just that people seem to run into trouble with other drivers.

AGP is a separate issue, of course.
                  Test signature

Comment

I have install the driver fglrx of ubuntu and it had work during 3 days and now I can not have a resolution bigger than 640/480!

Note:
                    The ubuntu french forum is http://ubuntu-fr.org

Comment

So it stopped working after 3 days? What exactly did you do when that happened? Reboot? I would uninstall the driver you have now, reconfigure X, and install the driver again, but this time do it "manually" (get the installer from ATI's website and run it).

Comment

Working...
                      X