Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux GPU Switching For Apple's MacBook Pro, Revised

Phoronix: Linux GPU Switching For Apple's MacBook Pro, Revised

For those running Linux on Apple MacBook Pro laptops that have both Intel HD Graphics and a discrete NVIDIA GPU, there's new patches underway for proper GPU switching support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

excuse my ignorance, but please which game is showing in the background of that picture, on the monitor behind the MacBook, to the left?
    thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      excuse my ignorance, but please which game is showing in the background of that picture, on the monitor behind the MacBook, to the left?
      thanks!
      looks like http://www.warsow.net/media

Comment

Yes, it's PTS Warsow benchmark.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Huh, they use a hardware muxer, that's rare.

And hey, just today I was looking at the current state of switchable graphics. Looks like when it comes to AMD hardware, all you need to do is to launch things you want accelerated with a PRIME variable correctly set to indicate a desire for faster graphics, and that's it. Neat!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Huh, they use a hardware muxer, that's rare.

And hey, just today I was looking at the current state of switchable graphics. Looks like when it comes to AMD hardware, all you need to do is to launch things you want accelerated with a PRIME variable correctly set to indicate a desire for faster graphics, and that's it. Neat!
            According to... I think it was David Airlie*:

Got a mac? Uses a hardware muxer for Optimus
            Got a vista-era PC? Uses a hardware muxer for Optimus.
            Got a Win7-era PC? ... Could be hardware mux, could not be
            Got a Win8-era PC? Probably doesn't have a hardware muxer

*Conference talk he gave a couple years ago
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Technically its interesting, but needs full application layer abstraction for just switch GPU during gameplay, and its now possible with usual hacks in code for different GPU.. So its not possible even on Windows.

I see more simple solution, without duplicate HW, simply shutdown GPU cores and hugely underclock discrete GPU to integratedGPU power budget.

Comment

Yes Please,

For what kernel will this be merged ? or any specific intel / driver / kernel module ?? This will be helpful as I don't have to reboot to OSX, set graphic card, reboot to Linux again just to change from intel to nvidia. I'm using macbook 11,3 I'd like to hear the update, thanks

Comment

Working...
                X