Trying Out The Modern Linux Desktops With 4 Monitors + AMD/NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jarfil View Post
    I would like to see a test of a "Modern Linux Desktop with 4 monitors on AMD and NVIDIA Graphics" (both at the same time).

My use case:
    • 6 Monitors
    • GPU #1 - AMD Radeon HD 7850
    • GPU #2 - AMD Radeon HD 6570
    • GPU #3 - NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290

I ended up using Windows as a front-end for my Linux machines because of the horrible cross-framebuffer performance in X/Xinerama
    Did using all open source drivers and PRIME output sources with xrandr --setprovideroutputsource not work? I always thought it should have been working for some time, but people never seem to talk about it, neither saying it works nor saying it doesn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I fail to see what was worse about Xfce's multimonitor setup from GNOME's. Unless you can't move those monitors to the left around freely it looks like everything you need is there. What am I missing?
      My thoughts exactly. And I also fail to see why ARandR is not in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        My thoughts exactly. And I also fail to see why ARandR is not in the article.
        I just tried myself... you can drag those monitors around on that panel in the xfce4-settings manager. I'm also totally unsure what Michael thinks is missing.

On the other hand this is the quality of the articles I have come to expect from phoronix. Loads and loads of observations but no context, no explanations, no interpretation of any of the results (especially important with benchmarks...)

Comment

Great with a multi-monitor test, but what about HDMI TV tests? Espeically when using in combination with a AV receiver! I've always found that to be lacking with Intel drivers (GMA HD 4400), but I've never tested with Radeon drivers on my HD 7750.

My experience with plugging into a HDMI TV is that it sometimes fails to determine correct manufacturer, the colour palette is wrong, so that the picture looks substantially darker on the TV than on the inbuilt laptop screen, and always the flickering because it can't work out the correct refresh rate, but that seems to be due to AV receiver sitting in the middle--why that's a problem I don't know.

Things tend to flip out if you shut the laptop screen - it doesn't get that I want the secondary display to keep working. I understand it's probably screen dimming in power options but theres no option to change it (Gnome). And It can never work out if I boot up with both connected, which is primary.

Comment

I tried a multi-monitor setup several years ago but I didn't like it. It created a huge desktop and projected it over the two monitors (Xinerama) but no app was aware that I was using two monitors so they didn't adapt properly to it.

I am using a 3x3 virtual desktop, what I'd want from a multi-monitor setup is that each monitor displayed one of these 9 desktops and have an easy way of switching them independently and be able to move windows between them. If two monitors displayed the same virtual desktop it would simply be cloned.

This would be a problem if the monitors had different resolutions though so I guess two sets of virtual desktops would be ok that scenario.

Comment

I have a HTPC running Mint 17.1 with a Radeon HD 5550 in it using Oibaf open source drivers. When I resume the machine from standby it doesn't detect the 32 inch HDTV. I haven't tried the Catalyst drivers but I remember having this issue before using open source drivers. The only solution is to reboot the machine.

Comment

binary blob

Interesting, I also prefer a big screen over dual monitors. I've noticed in your reviews that you refer to the binary blob for Nvidia drivers. Is that the one from the nvidia.com website ?

I just got a Gtx 980 and I use OpenSuse so I was told to use the repository from nvidia and install the driver from there. Do you use another source for your reviews ?

Comment

differences

"To no surprise, using the NVIDIA binary graphics driver led to the best experience..."
                  because of
                  "While the AMD Catalyst control panel works fine, I tend to prefer NVIDIA's control panel for monitor configuration as it feels more streamlined, but that may just be personal preference."
                  so it's only a subjective point of view or are there some slightly more objective differences ?

Comment

I did set up my new pc with OpenSuse and used the driver from the official nvidia repository, all working good. I have a pretty big monitor, looks like it'll work better for me than having a separated screen, during set up, Suse did think I had additional monitors and the login screen was been displayed on another one. Solution is simple, entering the display setup and deleting the other outputs.

Btw, if it's of use to anyone, I researched and using 'Display Port' over HDMI is better for computer use even if they both can have the same resolution. Google about it and you'll see the long explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
                      I tried a multi-monitor setup several years ago but I didn't like it. It created a huge desktop and projected it over the two monitors (Xinerama) but no app was aware that I was using two monitors so they didn't adapt properly to it.

I am using a 3x3 virtual desktop, what I'd want from a multi-monitor setup is that each monitor displayed one of these 9 desktops and have an easy way of switching them independently and be able to move windows between them. If two monitors displayed the same virtual desktop it would simply be cloned.

This would be a problem if the monitors had different resolutions though so I guess two sets of virtual desktops would be ok that scenario.

At least on Unity it can do exactly that, when maximizing apps they take a single screen, instead of spanning across all of them. I have a triple-screen setup, and I'm happy with the way it works.

The problem with other DMs is that last time I checked, they had a fixed 'primary screen', where you would see the controls(taskbars, menus, alt-tab switcher, etc), and the other screens are used only for showing application content.

That is a PITA on a multi-screen setup, where you want to have the controls shown on the screen where you're working (like where your mouse is), not on the screen that happens to be your primary, which on a 3x3 setup might be in the completely other corner of the setup.

Fortunately Unity also handles this very well, but no other DMs do it, so I'm pretty much locked-in to Unity until the others fix their current behavior.
                      Last edited by alien; 27 November 2015, 09:17 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Working...
                      X