Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved OpenCL Support For Blender's Cycles Renderer

Phoronix: Improved OpenCL Support For Blender's Cycles Renderer

George Kyriazis of AMD has provided patches to the Blender project for vastly improving their OpenCL Cycles renderer support and allow for it to work with AMD GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like to see some benchmarks of the performance improvements.
    How much faster are we talking about? 5 times? 20 times? 100 times?
    Please do some tests and post an article detailing the improvements in the OpenCL patch.

Comment

He's been talking about doing this on the mailing list since like August, glad to see it got done.

Comment

Thank you AMD!

Being a Linux user, I really like the investment AMD and Intel are making into proper Linux support and Open Source support in general. I really hope it will pay back to them in the long run. I will certainly direct my investments towards them.

Regarding Nvidia - well after a history with various problems with their binary driver, blue faced Flash videos and no sincere Open Source support, I feel like Linus about them :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          blue faced Flash videos
          That's Adobe's fault. Whatever gripes you may have with Nvidia, it's fine, but this one is on Adobe. You would still have blue Flash people if Nvidia hadn't worked around Adobe's incompetence in libvdpau, because Flash is still broken.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
            Like to see some benchmarks of the performance improvements.
            How much faster are we talking about? 5 times? 20 times? 100 times?
            Please do some tests and post an article detailing the improvements in the OpenCL patch.
            From the comments to the patches:
            By the way, on my tests, on heavy scenes, the benefit of this patch is between 200 and 300% (2 to 3 times faster). Some reports up to 400% on Blenderartists.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              Thank you AMD!

Being a Linux user, I really like the investment AMD and Intel are making into proper Linux support and Open Source support in general. I really hope it will pay back to them in the long run. I will certainly direct my investments towards them.
              I'd be especially interested in supportng AMD. If nothing else we need them around to compete against Intel and drive system advancements.
              Regarding Nvidia - well after a history with various problems with their binary driver, blue faced Flash videos and no sincere Open Source support, I feel like Linus about them :-/
              There are better reasons to avoid Intel than issues with flash. In fact at this point I'd have to wonder why you have flash installed at all, it is just a terrible solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore.

Comment

I'm not sure what else to say but "fucking finally". Woo!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  I'd be especially interested in supportng AMD. If nothing else we need them around to compete against Intel and drive system advancements.

There are better reasons to avoid Intel than issues with flash. In fact at this point I'd have to wonder why you have flash installed at all, it is just a terrible solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore.
                  For real, I just nuked flash off my last computer a couple weeks ago.

Comment

I'd be delighted to try out improvements with AMD A8-7600 APU.

As for Flash, Amazon needs to get with the times and switch their audio player for demoing samples of music to HTML5. I've been happy living my Flash-free life by disabling it for a month. I have ignored websites that require Flash to view ads.

Comment

Working...
                    X