Big Graphics Card Comparison Of Metro Redux Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Everybody expects you to say what they want to hear.
    I'm not very good at that

Fortunately my job is to say the things that people generally don't want to hear. But yeah, we are moving more and more towards the open source side. Investing in the amdgpu transition slows apparent progress down a bit but I think it'll be worth it overall.
    Last edited by bridgman; 21 March 2015, 08:11 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Fortunately my job is to say the things that people generally don't want to hear. But yeah, we are moving more and more towards the open source side. Investing in the amdgpu transition slows apparent progress down a bit but I think it'll be worth it overall.
      I have to admire your cool...
      Happy mesa r600 user here Even trying to report bugs: the best I can do...

Comment

This is the whole point. A Linux-specific stack is *not* going to move as fast as a stack where development $$$ can be shared across multiple OSes, other than in an infinite R&D $$ scenario.

Saying you want us to focus on open source then buying NVidia because they benefit from focusing on closed source is sending just the tiniest bit of a mixed message
        Not everybody cares about an open source GPU driver and I think you'd find it's actually a very loud, vocal, sometimes obnoxious minority.

...Probably single-digit minority...

What AMD has on Linux is the equivalent absurdity of selling a Corvette w/ $30 tires.

Comment

That is good to hear. I am going to buy AMD graphics card, if I buy a new card.

Comment

I for one will be upgrading from my 7970's to a 390x looking forward to trying out the new driver. My way of showing support for what AMD does.

If ya'll want gl 4.x done quicker why don't you ask Nvidia to contribute to it..I'm sure they may eventually right after they finish Optimus support and get around to supplying Nouveau with those firmware images.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Agreed, totally unfair, but really had to be said. In the early days nobody wanted to hear *why* vendors make proprietary drivers (leveraging development work across multiple OSes) and everyone said "yeah sure I understand that you won't be able to leverage Windows & MacOS work but open source open source open source".
              I wish you guys didn't leverage the windows and macOS work because your drivers have been historically a complete fucking joke tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                I wish you guys didn't leverage the windows and macOS work because your drivers have been historically a complete fucking joke tbh.
                Actually the installer is Linux-specific. That doesn't necessarily make things better though...
                Test signature

Comment

This is the whole point. A Linux-specific stack is *not* going to move as fast as a stack where development $$$ can be shared across multiple OSes, other than in an infinite R&D $$ scenario.

Saying you want us to focus on open source then buying NVidia because they benefit from focusing on closed source is sending just the tiniest bit of a mixed message
                  Oh, i agree with that 100%.

I'm just saying, the whole problem AMD has always had is that there are 2 drivers and neither one of them work particularly well at everything. Usually the answer is to pick your poison, and go with whichever one is better at the things you care about most, but in this case the 2nd driver doesn't even work at all with this game and the first one sucks as always.

You're never going to make everyone happy. Trying to do that leads to madness. But a lot of people would be happier if there was at least 1 driver from AMD that worked well, whichever one you choose.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 21 March 2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Oh, i agree with that 100%.

I'm just saying, the whole problem AMD has always had is that there are 2 drivers and neither one of them work particularly well at everything. Usually the answer is to pick your poison, and go with whichever one is better at the things you care about most, but in this case the 2nd driver doesn't even work at all with this game and the first one sucks as always.

You're never going to make everyone happy. Trying to do that leads to madness. But a lot of people would be happier if there was at least 1 driver from AMD that worked well, whichever one you choose.
                    As long as it's the OSS driver of course

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      I'm just saying, the whole problem AMD has always had is that there are 2 drivers and neither one of them work particularly well at everything.
                      In whole nVidia has same problem , but their problem is high-low while AMD is in mid-high area. Of course people are free to simply ignore closed or opensource drivers to avoid "madness" for both vendor chips if they want .

Bridgman still talking about being more opensource with amdgpu driver , while it will start to use blob optionaly - that sounds completely like non sense to me But OK, that driver is not released yet so we dunno for sure what that is, for sure it is not opensource software until it is released
                      Last edited by dungeon; 22 March 2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X