• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    It's trivial to make Mesa lie the version
    And still won't start.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
      Why? Do you expect that radeon(si) performs better than fglrx? Michael frequently does radeon vs. fglrx benchmarks and so far radeon was on par or came close on older (say HD6xxx) hardware, but didn't stand a chance on the more recent graphic card families. (It would be equally meaningless to include nouveau results.)
      No, I want to see the performance _difference_ between fglrx and mesa. I also want to see how games run with forced GL versions because mesa is 80-90% GL4 compatible now.

No site but phoronix does ANY sort of benchmarking like this for linux, windows has dozens of sites.

and AMD continues to be disappointing, I guess I'm buying a 970.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        "Release docs and the community will write awesome open source drivers", they says...

So we do.

"That's not enough, you need to hire developers to work on the open source drivers", they says.

So we do.

"You still suck because you have fglrx, put more effort into open source drivers and less effort into fglrx", they says...

So we do.

"Fglrx isn't good enough, I'm buying NVidia", they says...

Auggh !!
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          "You still suck because you have fglrx, put more effort into open source drivers and less effort into fglrx", they says...

So we do.
          This would be more convincing if Mesa actually ran this game successfully. Until then....

Comment

"Release docs and the community will write awesome open source drivers", they says...

So we do.

"That's not enough, you need to hire developers to work on the open source drivers", they says.

So we do.

So we do.

Auggh !!
            I think that's a bit unfair to some people. I mean it's probably totally true, but also a bit unfair.

Comment

So we do.

So we do.

So we do.

Auggh !!
              Beside missing GL4 with all mesa drivers, that is what it is - i don't think people much complain about that, that will came... . This is not about fglrx or opensource drivers, it is about some slow cases in all non-nvidia OpenGL implementations . There are same slow cases with Catalyst OpenGL drivers on Windows too .

I guess people just wants similar performance out of OpenGL implementations, just like they see on Windows with Direct3D with same game... some hit like 20% slower in some cases can be acceptible, but not things like 2-3 times slower in whole game
              Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                No, I want to see the performance _difference_ between fglrx and mesa. I also want to see how games run with forced GL versions because mesa is 80-90% GL4 compatible now.

No site but phoronix does ANY sort of benchmarking like this for linux, windows has dozens of sites.

LOL 970, If you're into getting ripped off.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8449 read this thread before pulling the trigger not to mention the new AMD gpus maybe out as early as April (June more likely though )...

@Bridgman I like AMD but it wouldn't kill them to do small things like a public bug tracker for frglx. A forum where we get official answers. I'm looking forward to getting a 390x however if i am only getting 50fps because of driver issues there isn't much point (I hope the new driver model eliminates this). As for the current situation, I would be surprised with some steam machines sporting AMD apu's that Linux performance wouldn't be something you guys are working on but it would be nice to be let in on it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I think that's a bit unfair to some people. I mean it's probably totally true, but also a bit unfair.
                  Agreed, totally unfair, but really had to be said. In the early days nobody wanted to hear *why* vendors make proprietary drivers (leveraging development work across multiple OSes) and everyone said "yeah sure I understand that you won't be able to leverage Windows & MacOS work but open source open source open source".
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    This would be more convincing if Mesa actually ran this game successfully. Until then....
                    This is the whole point. A Linux-specific stack is *not* going to move as fast as a stack where development $$$ can be shared across multiple OSes, other than in an infinite R&D $$ scenario.

Saying you want us to focus on open source then buying NVidia because they benefit from focusing on closed source is sending just the tiniest bit of a mixed message
                    Test signature

Comment

Agreed, totally unfair, but really had to be said. In the early days nobody wanted to hear *why* vendors make proprietary drivers (leveraging development work across multiple OSes) and everyone said "yeah sure I understand that you won't be able to leverage Windows & MacOS work but open source open source open source".
                      I'm one of them that screams open source. But there are others that have done the hard work. AMD hired Marek Olsak.

EDIT: Sorry, I know your line of work can be frustrating. Everybody expects you to say what they want to hear. And it's usually different from one person to the next.
                      Last edited by duby229; 21 March 2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X