Fedora 9 and ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 9 and ATI

I tried to install the latest ati for my x1300 card on F9 but it failed to load, although the driver *seemed* to install. Does this work at all right now on F9 with the X org system they are shipping?

If you are referring to fglrx, I'd guess a resounding no.

From my experiences the newest driver doesn't even build in fedora 8, and when you tinker with it to get it to work it causes every gl application to segfault. Way to go guys, great product!

But Fedora 9 is currently alpha, so it is running a lot of new/testing stuff. It is running the recently released 2.6.24 kernel & a development version of x.org so I'd guess fglrx will support that... sometime in Q3/Q4. Fortunately by then the open source alternatives should have 3d working (at least rudimentary, which is still better than segfaults).

In fact if you are lucky, fglrx will support f8 by April when f9 comes out, and then f9 when f10 comes out.

Comment

Fedora 8 should be working in Catalyst 8.01 aside from x86_64 needing to add one line to the SPEC file or getting the latest scripts from Phorogit.com.

I'll probably add in Fedora/F9 support in Cat 8.03.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Fedora 8 should be working in Catalyst 8.01 aside from x86_64 needing to add one line to the SPEC file or getting the latest scripts from Phorogit.com.

I'll probably add in Fedora/F9 support in Cat 8.03.
        Does the driver released couple days ago support F9 yet or still only F8? I see F9 devel is already starting to go with the 2.6.25 kernel as well as the restreamed xorg packages.

Comment

Im currently using fglrx drivers compiled from atis site, remember that you need kernel-devel package to make driver modules.
          And also if you want you could use livna repo for easier fedora 6-9 driver install.
          http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ for 6-8 and if you want to use fedora 9 packages just search net how to use its "development" repo.

Comment

Sorry guys, but I kinda lost in what you saying. I'm successfully using ati 8.4 drivers on Fedora 8 and haven't had any problems for months. My question was if those drivers, or latest 8.5, would install and kernel modules compile on FC9. I'd like to upgrade my system, but just have to know if graphics card will work.

Comment

I still can't get the radeon driver to work with my dual-head setup after my upgrade to Fedora 9.

So, as with previous Fedora releases, I tried to install fglrx from Livna, using http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fed...vn9.x86_64.rpm but I hit http://bugzilla.livna.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1979

I wish I knew if this were something someone might be able to patch, which I could hold out for with a single monitor, or if it will require a new ATI release, and I should just downgrade my X-Server to the Fedora 8 one (PITA!).

Maybe I should send the radeon devs another monitor or some beer or something as encouragement to make dual head work

Comment

I'm not sure if you have to, but have you downgraded the x server ? I gather that this driver release was not intended to work with the x server version in F9 (don't know details tho).
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I'm not sure if you have to, but have you downgraded the x server ? I gather that this driver release was not intended to work with the x server version in F9 (don't know details tho).
                  This guide will help with the downgrade. I have done it myself, and it worked decently well for the ATI drivers. I used the ATI drivers from the AMD website.

EDIT: Added January 5, 2012 Howto for F16 & F19 (there is no catalyst driver from rpmfusion repository for F20 and higher) Click this link to make sure your card is supported by this driver (All ATI cards below the HD series are unsupported, in F17 all HD4xxx and below are unsupported)

However, from what I hear, the Nvidia drivers now work with the xserver 1.3, but I have not heard word on the ATI drivers yet. Hopefully something will come along soon.

adam

Comment

Working...
                  X