An LGPL-Licensed, Larrabee-Inspired GPGPU Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lennie View Post
    I don't really know a lot of that industry, but I always got the impression that Fab's with outdated processes don't go away, they are just re-purposed for 'lower-end' chips. Because the new low-end is the old high-end.
    The old machines don't really do new architectures (smaller prodeces). There always has to be some redesigning.

Comment

I see potential for this to be added to motherboards that runs when there is no integrated GPU on the CPU, or a dedicated GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        It's a hell of a lot closer than any of the other past attempts, overall. It would still require building up the rest of the infrastructure to make it a "proper" GPU- but much of that's already been done elsewhere in an Open manner. Just tying it all together.

At this point, this is where this is all going and unless the main players continue to work with us, you're going to need something like this. It's promising, if nothing else, as has been the Adaptiva Epiphany cores, for this sort of thing.
        If it's complete all they need to do is get it working with HSA/Vulkan so that the system just sees it as another resource instead of depending on it to be the main GPU.

Comment

I'd like to point out that the article misquotes the lowRISC mailing list: http://listmaster.pepperfish.net/pip...ry/000068.html

Theo Markettos replies to the list by quoting comp.arch.fpga.

(...)

This was posted recently to comp.arch.fpga:

<quote>
          Subject: Open Source GPGPU core

I've been designing an open source Larrabee-esque GPGPU processor
          (...)

</quote>

It's GPL/LGPL. I haven't looked in detail, but it has a cache, a compiler
          and a testsuite which is a lot more than many open source hardware projects.

Comment

JEFF BUSH is the author, not Theo Markettos

A paper about Nyuzi (aka Nyami) will appear in ISPASS this month, and I'm one of the co-authors.

I don't know who Theo Markettos is, but the author of this GPU is named Jeff Bush.

This isn't the first time that Larabel has done some bad fact reporting about open source GPUs.

Comment

Working...
            X