MediaTek Said To Be Licensing AMD Graphics Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I dare to disagree. All APU's currently have a major problem, the memory bandwidth. The only Intel APU that performs okish is the ones with integrated eDRAM. The fact is that almost ALL Intel gpus can't even run a desktop confortably. The first second the GPU needs to touch memory it's screwed.
    You can't have used recent Intel HD GPUs then, because I can run Minecraft at 1080p reasonably well on my core-i5 laptop if I dial down the effects a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      They can get one if they want. The Question is why? The Intel GPUs work quiet well and more as fast enough for a integrated card.
      "more as fast"

Neither "more" nor "as fast".

AMD APUs have stronger iGPUs.
      Even when comparing without regard for price tag. Best Intel iGPUs are weaker then best AMDs APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
        You can't have used recent Intel HD GPUs then, because I can run Minecraft at 1080p reasonably well on my core-i5 laptop if I dial down the effects a bit.
        Mojang uses some hackish tricks for Intel GPUs (damn, is basically a launch argument), and Minecraft uses OpenGL ES (2.0 I think? Because of LWJGL), a scaled down version of OpenGL, anything bigger, or a little more modern runs like cr**

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
          Minecraft ain't run of the mill AAA game

Comment

Wow. If that becomes reality we might please (!) see the first ARM / GPU combination with a freedom driver that does not have to be reverse engineered. And finally the ARM world would suddenly become a nice and comfy place. Let's hope this will work out - without binary blobs.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Someone could make: 14 nm 8-core 4 GHz ARM A72 with AMD or Intel GPU possibly in thin mini ITX motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                AMD APUs have stronger iGPUs. [...] Best Intel iGPUs are weaker then best AMDs APUs.
                Who one say something different? But the AMD APUs most time to weak for serious gaming and to fast for a desktop only environment. OpenCL/HSA Software is rare and since some years nothing really big comes out. Where is bulletphysics with opencl for gaming? why amd stopped working on libjpeg-turbo (New Camera is coming and the load times on small cpus are annoying)? where are patches that software can utilize gpu, e.g ffmpeg (decode, encode and filtering)?

If you want to play games most user use a dedicated card. everyone thats not playing or plays only some casual games are more as happy with a intel igpu

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  Someone could make: 14 nm 8-core 4 GHz ARM A72 with AMD or Intel GPU possibly in thin mini ITX motherboard.
                  microATX version would be also useful. Linux would need ARM64 support by web browsers, Flash, Java, etc.

Comment

Mediatek is on the Vulkan partners list. Mabye Mediatek will be using Skybridge when it comes out.

Comment

ARM has that ...

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      microATX version would be also useful. Linux would need ARM64 support by web browsers, Flash, Java, etc.
                      I have Flash, Oracle Java 8, Chromium, and Firefox installed on my Jetson TK1. They all work very well. I even tested WebStorm 9 running on Oracle Java 8, and it runs quite nicely.

While updating for ARM64 is non-trivial, it is comforting to know that they are already working well on ARM32. I wouldn't get my hopes up for ARM64 Flash, but the others seem likely in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                      X