AMD Will Release Mantle Programming Guide, API Reference This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
    Mantle was never about giving AMD an advantage.
    Wut? Stop right there and said that again and again and again Really i would like to read that again and again and again

Really sorry about that, but people made money every day/month/year

Comment

If...

AMD will have best Vulcan drivers. Period.

If they allow floss radeon team to make it for them.

Also, AMD recently did 5-6 such drivers (PS4, XOne, Mantle, DX3D12, Wii??, Vulcan??).
      Nvidia? Just two (DX3D12, Vulcan??).
      Intel? Just two (DX3D12, Vulcan??).

So as You can see AMD have an awful lot of experience in writing low level APIs drivers.

Such drivers will be also "start from scratch" for big parts of drivers, too! (Reuse should happen in shader compilers)

AMD is really well placed to beat Nvidia to best driver.

If they allow floss radeon team to make it for them.

Comment

Oh, how I love this typical way of Phoronix forum discussion. Derailing from the first post and then the usual flamewar follows.

Adding anything, especially my own opinion would only add to the flames. And I got better things to do today.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Error: too late

ERR_TOO_LATE: Khronos Group Announces Vulkan, OpenCL 2.1, SPIR-V.

Who would use Mantle after close to metal standard? Even AMD admits it will be transition...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Nope. Mantle is pretty much irrelevant for future games.
            Most of you forget that AMD has a monopoly on consoles and that console players are really more bankable (less "private copy") than PC players.
            20 millions of "new-gen" consoles have been sold already, it may seem less than PCs, but 100% of their consommers will buy games

By the way most of AAA console games do not land on PC...
            So Mantle is a wise option for multi-platform games with high performance and optimization, AMD guys are far to be stupid... whatever PC players think!
            Last edited by Passso; 03 March 2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              Most of you forget that AMD has a monopoly on consoles and that console players are really more bankable (less "private copy") than PC players.
              20 millions of "new-gen" consoles have been sold already, it may seem less than PCs, but 100% of their consommers will buy games

By the way most of AAA console games do not land on PC...
              So Mantle is a wise option for multi-platform games with high performance and optimization, AMD guys are far to be stupid... whatever PC players think!
              Mantle has nothing to do with the consoles.

This thing could be the most misunderstood technology in the past ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Mantle has nothing to do with the consoles.

This thing could be the most misunderstood technology in the past ten years.
                My bad, you are right. It only enables developpers to code on PC with "console like low-level API".

Seems doomed. No one will use an AMD-Optimized-only API... while AMD has no actual majority of marketshare.

Comment

One of Mantle's Futures: Vulkan

One

Comment

Working...
                  X