Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI HD 2400Pro no direct rendering (gentoo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI HD 2400Pro no direct rendering (gentoo)

Hello.

I have a problem is an ATI HD 2400 Pro brand new video card connected in AGP to my computer.

I can start X but I don't have any direct rendering and for some reason that I don't know fglrxinfo says I'm using the Mesa 3D Project Indirect rendering, though the opensource radeonhd driver is *not* installed...

Also "lsmod | grep agp" doesn't return *anything*.

I think it has something to do with DRI because whenever I activate it in my xorg.conf file X fails to start and the output has a backtrace. I've been on that problem for about five hours now so I really need help for this. Thanks in advance.

My xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    Section "Module"
        Load        "freetype"
        Load        "glx"
    #    Load       "dri"
        Load        "dbe"
        Load        "extmod"
        Load        "type1"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
            Option  "standby time" "10"
            Option  "DefaultServerLayout" "Layout 1"
            Option "AIGLX"  "on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
        Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
        Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout"  "fr"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
    #    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    #    Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
    #    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "hp f1723"
    #    HorizSync   31.5 - 79.0
    #    VertRefresh 50-100
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI HD 2400 Pro"
        Driver     "fglrx"
        Option "DRI" "false"
        Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
        Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
        Option "ForceGenericCPU" "off"
        Option "KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"
        Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
        Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    EndSection
    #Section "Device"
    #    Identifier  "ATI HD 2400 Pro (OSD)"
    #    Driver      "radeonhd"
    #EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen 1"
        Device      "ATI HD 2400 Pro"
        Monitor     "hp f1723"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    #        ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "Layout 1"
        Screen      "Screen 1"
        InputDevice "Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
            Mode 0666
    EndSection
    Here is the (huge) X11 log: http://rafb.net/p/4Y5Qsp72.html (I wasn't able to post it in this topic because it was too long (53181 characters but only 10000 are allowed).

Thank you for any help!

edit: Moderators, you might consider moving this topic to Linux Graphics/ AMD/ATI Linux
    Thanks
    Last edited by N-0-X; 01 February 2008, 11:45 PM. Reason: Modified the title and added a not for the moderators

Okay, I've finally advanced a little bit I think.
    Instead of compiling via-agp in the kernel, I compiled it as a module and now when I load it, I can actually start X with DRI enabled (it doesn't crash anymore).
    The only problem is the screen is completely black and even when I go back in a tty, the screen is just black...

Comment

I almost have a victory here...
      I finally decided my self to move the file glesx.so somewhere else because actually, it might of been the source of the problem. Thanks to that, I can start X with DRI and (that's the "cherry on the cake") fglrxinfo no longer says "Mesa" but "ATI". That actually solves the problem but, not exactly.

In fact, when I execute fglrxinfo, it gives me the three firsts lines and then the system crashes... (Thank gosh for Alt+System+REISUB).
      That actually happens for anything which used GLX (like glxgears).

Comment

See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...3885#post23885

Compiling via-agp as a module is something I hadn't looked into yet,
        but from what I can see on my Ubuntu 7.10 2.6.22-14 kernel, it IS a module.

Comment

The bug is already on the ATi bugzilla: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=989
          It seems that some things can start working if you tweak the options...

Comment

"But I don't want to tweak the options, I just want a driver that WORKS with my shiny new ?150+ AGP card."

Oh well .... *sigh*.... radeonhd is looking better and better lately.

Comment

How good is radeonhd looking? Does it use the hardware HD decoder? That's all I want...

Comment

I haven't done anything with HD on my 2600XT AGP yet, so I can't comment to that.
                radeonhd at the moment is JUST a display driver - it displays my desktop in 24 bit colour. That's it.
                There's no 3d Acceleration, not even 2d acceleration (still, it's faster on my system than fglrx without DRI) so if your CPU gets busy, video tearing is occasionally visible (and you have to use the x11 (Ximage/shm) video port to play back in Mplayer or derivatives).

2d acceleration is around the corner, with 3d likely following close behind, but radeonhd can't hold a candle yet to the features I got used to when I had an NVidia 6600 GT card in my system.

Still, radeonhd is the best option available to me right now, for my HD2600XT AGP. Most important for me under Linux is to be able to work on photo-editing, e-mail and internet browsing and with radeonhd, I can do that.

Comment

Okay.
                  I'll try to compare the radeonhd driver and the tweaked fglrx that I use for the moment (I enabled DRI in my xorg.conf but moved the file glesx.so so I could start up X).

For the moment, every graphical application is very slow, even when I move a window around in Fluxbox (the repait takes like two seconds and flickers)!

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=843&num=1 in case you have trouble finding it. Current version on git should be 1.1.0

Comment

Working...
                    X