AMD or NVIDIA for dual OS system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scathlock View Post
    By outdated you mean r9 280x, right? I'm pretty sure I'm resigned of buying it. If I buy amd it will be r9 285.

What do you mean "everyone"? Everyone who uses windows or everyone who uses linux, or everyone in general? And where this knowledge comes from? Are there any statistics of it's just a impression? I don't say this isn't true but recently I've asked myself that question but I couldn't find the answer which is supported by any numbers.

I've assume there you are writing about r9 285. Everyone talks that Catalyst sucks but can anyone give me an example of that? Any daily basis situation where it sucks? Please remember that I don't have to play games on linux (I must have windows installed anyway). Only destkop (gnome 3, unity, compiz), browser, videos, java-based IDE and terminal in usage.

What about DirectX12 support in AMD nad nVidia?
    Please keep in mind DX12 is a Windows 10 feature and everything about Windows 10 functionality is subject to change until public release. Promises about compatibility should not be completely trusted

Comment

fglrx has since 14.12 release an official xvba (their own API) to vaapi wrapper. Vaapi is used by Intel usally. The problem is that video acceleration is only working if the decoder is single theaded. That means in practice that you can use mpv, vlc, xbmc 13.2 but NOT Kodi 14. Intel Haswell has no problems with Kodi 14.2 beta, works perfectly.

Nvidia binary supports like radeon OSS the vdpau acceleration method, if you get a GTX 960 then you might be able to use H265 with a driver update. Vdpau is also used by the flash plugin. You can get working video acceleration with any video player including xine, kaffeine. Also you can use HDMI 2.0 for 4k displays with GTX 960/970/980, all others support only HDMI 1.4. wine works definitely best with nvidia, forget fglrx for that. Radeon users can use a special wine patch which uses gallium nine to improve speed.

Dx12 is Windows 10 only and should work soon with any new card as it mainly removes some overhead. Similar to dx12 is GLnext which will be introduced in march. I expect new nvidia drivers at that time.
      Last edited by Kano; 20 February 2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Ok, guys. Now I'm convinced that it's better to buy gtx 960 (gigabyte windforce).
        I've read some benchmarks and comparisons betwen gtx 960, r9 285 and r9 280x. Leaving aside performance and driver related things... gtx 960 has noticeably less power consumption, it's quieter and cooler than radeons and it's cheaper. It's a pity that this way ends sympathy for open source community.

Comment

Ok, guys. Now I'm convinced that it's better to buy gtx 960 (gigabyte windforce).
          I've read some benchmarks and comparisons betwen gtx 960, r9 285 and r9 280x. Leaving aside performance and driver related things... gtx 960 has noticeably less power consumption, it's quieter and cooler than radeons and it's cheaper. It's a pity that this way ends sympathy for open source community.
          You can't go wrong buying nVidia products for linux. They make good hardware and good proprietary drivers. I use their hardware a lot on computer repairs for replacement cards because I think their drivers are so good.

On the other hand, every nVidia card purchased for use on linux hurts the OSS community as a whole. There is a reason why Linus Torvalds middle fingered nVidia.

Comment

Tbh I boycott nVidia even though I multiboot on Windows and know games would probably run faster with it. I think it's worth it to pay a little more for hardware to do what I want if it means I get hardware that I can use with open drivers *when* I run Linux

Comment

The oss religious type of

seems to be missing in wikipedia, please add it

Comment

Working...
              X