Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VESA Unveils The Embedded DisplayPort 1.4a Specification

Phoronix: VESA Unveils The Embedded DisplayPort 1.4a Specification

For those that missed it, VESA published the Embedded DisplayPort 1.4a specification this week. This new version has VESA Display Stream Compression and will support laptop panels up to 8K...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    will support laptop panels up to 8K...
    Bullshit, they'll have 8k resolution PHONES before we get anything other then 1366x768 as an option on our laptops...

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Bullshit, they'll have 8k resolution PHONES before we get anything other then 1366x768 as an option on our laptops...
      ? I have 1920x1200 on my 7 year old dell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        I had 1600x1200 on my first 14" laptop in 2001.

Comment

Sadly screen resolution in laptops evolved backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            I have a three year old ThinkPad T520 containing a 1920 x 1080 panel. Soon I'll be replacing it with a T550 containing a 2880 x 1620 (3K) panel. Seems not backwards to me. Although I wish Lenovo would use 4K instead.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
              Originally posted by steveriley View Post
              I have a three year old ThinkPad T520 containing a 1920 x 1080 panel. Soon I'll be replacing it with a T550 containing a 2880 x 1620 (3K) panel. Seems not backwards to me. Although I wish Lenovo would use 4K instead.
              No, for the vast majority of laptops, the tech has gone packwards, theres already been phones with 2560x1440 availible for nearly a year now, yet laptops, with their much larger screens are seemingly going in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                See, you and the other people in this thread are talking about higher-end laptops that you actively search out. ofc you're going to get higher res screens if you look for them.
                The unfortunate truth is that a solid 70+% of consumer laptops still use a 1366x768 resolution... even the ones with really good hardware otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  ofc you're going to get higher res screens if you look for them.
                  It's really hard to find decent laptop screens nowadays. If you don't want TN+Film for example, you won't find many models.
                  Actually I want a 4:3 laptop, or at least 16:10. And you don't find anything with new hardware inside with that (except apple, which has 16:10 displays, but in unbuyable for me for other reasons),

I really don't get why none of the laptop manufacturers tries to go a not-the-same-as-everybody-else route. :-(

Comment

Brace yourselves, opinion that may only be valid in my case incoming.

768p ought to be enough for anyone1.

For laptops, anyway. Some things are easier done on a desktop with multiple monitors, like professional 3D modelling, graphically- and input-intensive gaming, and the like -- if only because it's easier/actually-possible to upgrade/repair in a cost-effective manner, and harder to steal without being noticed. In such a case, you've got your giant screens of doom, can replace them if they're damaged, and aren't worried about the dent in battery life inflicted.

I imagine that developers would be very happy with a higher-res screen, though...but I also imagine that with the requirements of a keyboard with a decent layout, a decent touchpad, a metric-ton of RAM, and a high-end CPU, they'd already be in the price range where higher-res screens are more common. For typical web-browsing, email-reading, movie-watching and PERHAPS very light gaming, 1366x768 is more than enough spatial resolution. Ability to handle the temporal resolution of 60FPS is more important, and that's extremely easy nowdays. Just GIVE ME BACK MY MATTE SCREEN PANEL. Darn kids and their glaring reflective monitors.

That said, I really don't see why 8K will EVER be needed in a laptop, so I'm not really excited by this.

1 Unlike Mr. Gates, I'm actually saying that.

Comment

Working...
                    X